New Frame With Lower Bb?

Rebelistic

Hi,

I've been riding an 07 Echo Pure (short version) since october and generally it rides quite well however I'm starting to think that I don't like the 35mm BB rise.

I have fitted the longest highest stem I've seen on a stock bike (I forget the exact measurments) as I seem to get back ache with any stem smaller (and it feels more cramped). Even with this big stem I still seem to get a bit of back ache sometimes (never got any with my old frame).

I'm suprised that I need such a large stem as I'm not that tall and my old Pure (04 I think) has a shorter wheel base (and I used a shorter stem).

I can only guess that the high BB is making the bike feel very short.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this - I've heard some people don't like very high BB's, is this why?

I'm thinking of building up my old Pure (04) to compare with.

Cheers,

John.

the higher the bb the more it feels like your contact point are close (by contacts i mean hand-bars feet-pedals) ,that why longer stems are generally used.dont forget the mojority of modern trials bikes are designed more around rear wheel use so the will feel wierd.

have you tried a different set of bars?this sometimes solves problems with this.

i was running a high bb bike untill this week,i went from +55mm too +20mm and i much prefer the lower bottom bracket ,but thats just me like.

steve

Wanna swap it for a 06.5 pure? lol Its only +20 bb

But yeah I dont like too high bb's as I get back ache from them.

I would seriousley consider it!

Like I said I'll build up my old pure and then try and compare the two. If I find my old pure better (more comfortable) then I'll be looking to get an 'in between' frame.

The new pure has quite a different head angle too, I bet that makes a difference.

Cheers,

John.

I just built up my old 04 Pure yesterday, went for a ride - It's hard to tell what's better or worse or just different. Seems good for taps and gaps and anything rolling at speed. Not so good for side hops. It's a more comfortable riding position though (when on two wheels).

I measured the BB height on it and found it's actually a drop of just less than 10mm! (I think that's down to the forks though).

It's hard to compare the frames exactly as my old Pure has heavier pedals,bash and a mini seat (not a super light one).

As the Simtra is on offer I'm very likley to buy one - the geo looks good, a tad longer and not such a high BB.

Thanks for the replies!

John (Y)

I just built up my old 04 Pure yesterday, went for a ride - It's hard to tell what's better or worse or just different. Seems good for taps and gaps and anything rolling at speed. Not so good for side hops. It's a more comfortable riding position though (when on two wheels).

I measured the BB height on it and found it's actually a drop of just less than 10mm! (I think that's down to the forks though).

It's hard to compare the frames exactly as my old Pure has heavier pedals,bash and a mini seat (not a super light one).

As the Simtra is on offer I'm very likley to buy one - the geo looks good, a tad longer and not such a high BB.

Thanks for the replies!

John (Y)

What forks you got? think there normally measured with 405mm forks

What forks you got? think there normally measured with 405mm forks

Fattys (I think) 2nd hand, came with the frame. They seem shorter when compared with my echo urbans.

I've just ordered the Simtra - should be nice. I've just got to build some wheels before it arrives!

(Y)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

Just thought I'd add that I've built up my Simtra ST1 and I have to say it's the best frame I've ever ridden.

It just feels more stable and alows me to get more power in for doing gaps n' stuff. It doesn't give me back ache like the Pure 07 either.

If anyone is considering a new frame I'd strongly recommend one.

The only downside is that the blue paint is easy to scratch and shows the scratches more than a silver frame, but it does look nice - hell it's a trials frame it's bound to get scratched!