Dont Use Tar.

JOG ON!

No offence, but if you use tar sparsely and "responsibly" you will be fine.

WOW! man calm down and take a little bit of your own advise and jog on. If you have decent pads and a good grind you should NEVER need tar, trials has come so far now adays that you don't ever need the stuff. Its dirty, it sticks and contaminates everything and its just a bloody pain in the bum, sticking to the bottom of your bag etc. But if you are still running maggie reds or blacks then you will need tar or something similar, or if your on a ride and too lazy to set up your blocks square..... Personally id try to avoid it at all costs, but if you do use it apply it in perpendicualar lines to your rim with about a 4cm gap between them

WOW! man calm down and take a little bit of your own advise and jog on. If you have decent pads and a good grind you should NEVER need tar, trials has come so far now adays that you don't ever need the stuff. Its dirty, it sticks and contaminates everything and its just a bloody pain in the bum, sticking to the bottom of your bag etc. But if you are still running maggie reds or blacks then you will need tar or something similar, or if your on a ride and too lazy to set up your blocks square..... Personally id try to avoid it at all costs, but if you do use it apply it in perpendicualar lines to your rim with about a 4cm gap between them

And why may I ask should i calm down if i'm not angry?

A lot of people do not have access to an angle grinder, but may have access to tar. In this case they WILL use tar. It does not contaminate anything and can easily be removed with white spirit if necessary. I'm sure i've been riding more years than you and i've always used tar and never had any complaints. I've also used a grind but prefer tar. Every person has a preference and you should respect that.

Ohhh and don't tell me to jog on - i was expressing that this lad can't tell people not to use tar. Fair play if you advise against it, but don't tell people to stop using tar. Also try to read the whole post - I said "no offence" and also expressed an apreciation for the sentiment. So you calm down.

Neil

Theres no point starting a post saying. Jog on mate... and then saying no offence... because by telling him to jog on is taking the piss and is offensive, if hes just starting out then he's posting becuase he want to learn and get advise, not to be told to jog on if you get me. Im not saying ive got any problem with you just the way you started your post. I would say the 10quid spent on an angle grinder is a lot better value for money than scraping around looking for chunks of tar on the floor, i brought my grinder 3 or so years ago when i started and other people are always taking it and using it.

I hate tar ok! so i will tell people to stop using it! I just don't think theres any need for it now-adays, when i started out with magura reds and a poorly bled brake with no booster and no experience of setting up brake pads then i loved the stuff. Once you get a nice brake set up, a nice stiff set up, with good pads and lever, then you should never need tar

And why may I ask should i calm down if i'm not angry?

A lot of people do not have access to an angle grinder, but may have access to tar. In this case they WILL use tar. It does not contaminate anything and can easily be removed with white spirit if necessary. I'm sure i've been riding more years than you and i've always used tar and never had any complaints. I've also used a grind but prefer tar. Every person has a preference and you should respect that.

Ohhh and don't tell me to jog on - i was expressing that this lad can't tell people not to use tar. Fair play if you advise against it, but don't tell people to stop using tar. Also try to read the whole post - I said "no offence" and also expressed an apreciation for the sentiment. So you calm down.

Neil

Well maybe 'I' took offence, it was only meant to be a handy hint.

You Know, if your out riding and your brakes are lagging then dr pepper is easy to get hold of, rather than looking for a bit of tar to dig out the road.!

I wasn't ordering you not to use tar, just expressing that i thought this method was better as it left no mess and could be rinsed off with water, with no need to purchase 'white spirit'. Also, it seems to last for a decent length of time for me.

You seem angry to me, as the same with a lot of other people that replied to my message, if id of known some of you might get a little upset by my little tip than I would of kept it to my self.

Your also right about your suggestion of riding longer than me, you most likely have. iv been riding on and off, mainly off, for about 6 years. With my job its hard to ride all the time as I'm sometimes away, and also finding new people to ride with each time my job location changes.

Next time I would much rather you keep your silly little comments to yourself, and maybe I'll keep my little bit of trials knowledge to myself.

Bye now, Joe B

Edited by joe berresford

Well maybe 'I' took offence, it was only meant to be a handy hint.

You Know, if your out riding and your brakes are lagging then dr pepper is easy to get hold of, rather than looking for a bit of tar to dig out the road.!

I wasn't ordering you not to use tar, just expressing that i thought this method was better as it left no mess and could be rinsed off with water, with no need to purchase 'white spirit'. Also, it seems to last for a decent length of time for me.

You seem angry to me, as the same with a lot of other people that replied to my message, if id of known some of you might get a little upset by my little tip than I would of kept it to my self.

Your also right about your suggestion of riding longer than me, you most likely have. iv been riding on and off, mainly off, for about 6 years. With my job its hard to ride all the time as I'm sometimes away, and also finding new people to ride with each time my job location changes.

Next time I would much rather you keep your silly little comments to yourself, and maybe I'll keep my little bit of trials knowledge to myself.

Bye now, Joe B

I apologise if i did offend you, it was not my intention, but the way i understood your post you were telling people not to use tar. To me that statement is crazy, i felt you were handing out very narrow viewed information to people.

I'd apreciate it if you keep your silly comments to youself too!

To stop this ending in a slaging match lets just leave it.

Neil

I apologise if i did offend you, it was not my intention, but the way i understood your post you were telling people not to use tar. To me that statement is crazy, i felt you were handing out very narrow viewed information to people.

I'd apreciate it if you keep your silly comments to youself too!

To stop this ending in a slaging match lets just leave it.

Neil

Yea, no probs.

Lets be honest it not hard to get a grinder!!!!!!! 15 quid from argos and your set.

Oh and tar is swank every one knows it : sounds shit, feels shit, is shit.

For a beginner it may not be worth getting an angle grinder.

Also tar + grind is great. A large percentage of the guys i ride with have grinds and i love them, thay all use tar at oe point or another with their grinds.

For f*ck sake it's personal preference - if its you opinion then fine, but don't slate it.

As everyone said dont use to much of it or it will stick just use it lighter as you can always use more when it starts to go.

Ive found tar isnt all that great really, when i was starting out it was a god send. I was in love with it as it would make my break amazing. But now im at a good level its not the case anymore. I only use tar when im on a ride and my grind has started to go. Tar just gives your brake more bite and little better hold, ive always found when my grind has gone dead and i use abit of tar all it does it give me more bite the hold of the brake is still wank and hold is the most important thing. And on a smooth rim ive found the hold is pritty terrible just loads of bite.

Tar is good for people starting out and on rides when your grind is starting to go dead but if you want a proper good brake then good pads and harsh grind is the best. O and get a vee :)

Just grind it and get some Neco yellows!

My brothers brake is pretty good, medium grind with shitrus pads. Bites well but the hold is rubbish, possibly because he has a T-Lite frame and no booster...

The best rear Maggy I have ever tried was my the maggy that I got when I bought my latest Echo. Medium/Heavy grid and Rock Blues. I was going to try some slightly softer pads, such as Plazzy CRMs or Neco Yellows, but I got a disc instead.

The most grabby stuff I ever used was called 3M Spray Mount Adhesive. It was basically glue, worked brilliantly for a little while but needed reapplying all the time (I think when it got dusty). Tar is OK though, lasts much longer and is perfectly reasonable if you only ride in the dry and don't mind insanely grabby brakes.

But most people have an angle grinder lurking in their garage or shed, so get grinding. 100% better than tar.