Stupid Question About Gearing...

forteh

Sorry about the stupid question :$

Ive used the search and come to the conclusion that common gearing for stock is 1.125:1 (18/16) or 1.2:1 (18/15), Im currently running 20/16 with 165 cranks :o

Ive used this gearing for ever and never really used much else in the last 6 years (probably through ignorance), however Ive always been shite at gapping, particularly from static :(

Would dropping the gearing make gapping further easier? Im figuring it would as with the current gearing I dont think Im accelerating the cranks fast enough to get enough forward motion before I take off; or am I just being a big girl and need to learn the technique better? :D

My next question is should I get a larger 17t king cog on the rear (20/17 = 1.17:1) or should I keep my 16t king cog and buy the cloud9 bash and 18t ring from heatsink and shed a bit more weight? :)

For reference Im 5'8" 11 stone and faily slim build, got plenty of slow strength but not so much explosive power if that makes sense.

Edited by forteh

I went from 20/16 down to 18/16

and my gapping improved and my ability to climb,

so i'd say stick with the 16t cog on the back and go 18t up front.

and if i were you, i would get longer cranks

so you get more leverage

which may mean EVEN better gapping IMO.♠

Ben

Guess Ill have to be throwing some money at heatsink again then :D

Pretty sure Steve has a few in stock

I got mine through in the post today and would definitely recommend getting your mitts on one :)

Im expecting some cnc reds through the post from steve tomorrow, I shall have to dig out me switch card again, get paid on thursday wooo :D

Edited by forteh

I used to use 18:16 16:14 20:17, and now I am using 18:15. In my opinion, 18:15 is the best choice.

As Im 'finding' my trials legs again Ill try the lighter gearing and perhaps put a 15t on the rear when I can pull the harder ratio :)