Panaracers Coming Off The Wheel

JayPee

Has anyone had this problem - tyres coming off the wheel?

HISTORY

Recently I fitted a new 27x 1 1/4 inch wheel, and a new 27x1 1/4 inch Panaracer outer tyre, and a new 27x 1 1/4 inner tube. In addition to being a Panaracer, the outer is labelled as a Pasela Tour Guard, with Kevlar. The instruction on the tyre is to inflate to 95 psi: I did that.

PROBLEM

I've been riding it for several weeks without problems. Recently, however, the outer came off the wheel (and the inner tube burst as the brake block got under the tyre and caught the tube). I replaced the tube, reinflated: same problem after a few minutes' cycling. I reduced the pressure to 80psi. But the problem persists: the outer came off again.

All advice welcome!

Thanks

hiya.

ive had this problem before on my back wheel on my 20'' onza. How i solved the problem of my tyre coming of the rim was to use a solvent that stuck my tyre to the rim semi-permenant.

Another problem is that the sidewall looses traction and you might need to buy a new tyre.

if you need any more help i'll try to.:)

Are you sure you have the pads/brake set up/lined up correctly?

It's not even related to the brakes!

I had this problem too, running a maxxis on a tryall rim, went over to an echo and it kept popping off when I inflated it. Turns out the sidewalls were abit dead, changed to a panaracer (ironically) and now it's fine. I dont understand whats gonig on with yours though if it's not an old tyre.

If the worst comes to the worst consider replacing.

Phil

hiya.

ive had this problem before on my back wheel on my 20'' onza. How i solved the problem of my tyre coming of the rim was to use a solvent that stuck my tyre to the rim semi-permenant.

Another problem is that the sidewall looses traction and you might need to buy a new tyre.

if you need any more help i'll try to.:)

Many thanks for this idea. I'm reconciled to buying a new tyre.

It seems weird that the tyre I have is just too big. Apart from having Kevlar in it, it doesn't look to have a strange profile (not like Schwalbe Marathon Plus or similar very heavy duty stuff).

It's not even related to the brakes!

I had this problem too, running a maxxis on a tryall rim, went over to an echo and it kept popping off when I inflated it. Turns out the sidewalls were abit dead, changed to a panaracer (ironically) and now it's fine. I dont understand whats gonig on with yours though if it's not an old tyre.

If the worst comes to the worst consider replacing.

Phil

Yes, I will have to replace. Thanks for advice

seems very strange, maybe the shape of your rim is at fault, ive never heard of a tyre popping off the rim like that when inflated though...try www.bikeradar.com for more advice..they do more xc and some commuter stuff and should be able to help you out further

The chances are your tyres stretched, or the beed is dead. When people say theyve changed rims and its been fine on a different one that because different rims have different profiles and different widths but eventually the same will happen again. Buy another tyre and you should be fine.

Thanks to you all for your responses. My supplier has suggested the following cause of the problem: the new wheel rim does not have a bead, or not enough of one, to hold the Panaracer tyres when these are inflated hard. That leaves unexplained why the tyre sat ok on the wheel for several weeks of use while it was inflated to 95psi. But overall his explanation sounds plausible to me.

Thanks again everyone

Am I missing something or is 90psi a stupidly high pressure to be running MTB tyres at? I'm fairly sure that the problem is this high PSI.

Or is this a road tyre or something?

Edited by Ash1984

The chances are your tyres stretched, or the beed is dead. When people say theyve changed rims and its been fine on a different one that because different rims have different profiles and different widths but eventually the same will happen again. Buy another tyre and you should be fine.

Yep i agree with this one aswell as my own. the bead is probably not gripping to your rim. get a new tyre.