Brake Bleeding

mista-neos

Hi there how do you know when brkes need bleeding. Im about to get them done at my local bike shop and i need to know if they need bleeding or not.

x0x0-neos

hey well mine need bleeding too. Are yours spongey? Mine are really spongey and i have to use 2fingers instead of 1:(

Hope that helped

Mikey

The brakes will only need bleeding if youve got a leak and air has gotten into the system - the lever will feel spongey and generally pull right back to the bars without pulling the brake on.

Best thing to do is learn to bleed brakes yourself then you dont need to pay someone to do it for you :D

Spongy is the word!!

Watch out for your TPA....

Make sure you tune them back to zero everytime you finish riding...

Try not to use more den 1 round of ur tpa...its better to adjust ur brakes from the mounts, den rely too much on the TPAs.

Somehow they cause lots of bubbles in my system. My LBS adviced against using it, well too much of it.

hey well mine need bleeding too. Are yours spongey? Mine are really spongey and i have to use 2fingers instead of 1:(

Hope that helped

Mikey

Nope but thanks any way when i hop on to curbs and walls my brakes slip and i fall backwards or forwards it also stops me from skidding. I can pull them all the way back and i think i have air in them.

thanks

x0x0-neos

Brakes need bleeding when they start to feel spongey or not hook up as well as they should (althought that could be down to pad wear and alignment also). Local bike shops do generally tend to do a terable job when bleeding as it gets rushed a lot, so it is well worth learning to bleed brakes yourself. It is very easy even though it may seem confusing at first you will never regret learning how to do it as it will save a fortune in labour costs. Finslly I feel that it is important to let you know that brakes need bleeding if they have air / not enough fluid in them but also if the fluid in them has boiled from hard use and needs repalcing, this is the most common on maguras.

P.s. the reason that maguras get air in them if you use the tpa rather than adjusting their position is because the pistons are out further so there is a lot less contact with the seals.