116mm Or 135mm

Vee

I have just brought a 116mm Adamant, I'm fed up with banging mech hangers so I thought it might be worth a try. It should be a lot easier to use thou hopefully...

how does that work?

I have no mech on my 135mm hifi, singlespeed with a home bodged tensioner (an old dmr simple tension seeker and exhaust spring off my supermoto with a bit of fiddling about). The tensioner is inboard of the frame and mounted inside the dropout so it can never be hit even if I land on it :)

Meant drilling a hole in the dropout but its not in a highly stressed area so no cause for concern :)

116mm frames have horizontal dropouts like a mod, so you need no mech hanger to hold a tensioner/mech to keep the chain tight. Instead you would use snail cams or something similar.

In my opinion, 135mm is better, wider range of hubs, the wheelbuilds tend to be a bit stronger, and if you didn't want a mech hanger, get a 74kingz tensioner (Y)

Both have positive and negative points.

Matt

I'm hoping Deng will be looking at what koxx are doing right, and making 135mm spacing with horizontal dropouts, IMO its the way forward. Koxx have got something right, but the price begs to differ!!!

Bent two 74 king tenisoners in the last 2 weeks. mech are too bulky. with no tensioner, the chains either too tight or too loose!

I'm hoping Deng will be looking at what koxx are doing right, and making 135mm spacing with horizontal dropouts, IMO its the way forward. Koxx have got something right, but the price begs to differ!!!

It does make sense and allows people to run what they want and allows for the flanges on the hub to be further apart which should give a stronger wheel (unless you do what Giacomo did at Koxx days).

I much prefur the vertical drop outs (135) on my stock compared with the horizontal drop outs (116) of a mod/mod-stock, due to the simplicity of setting up the rear wheel and brakes. But those pesky mech hangers keep dying! So chain tension is then an issue.

Horizontal is much more reliable when it comes to chain tension!

It does make sense and allows people to run what they want and allows for the flanges on the hub to be further apart which should give a stronger wheel (unless you do what Giacomo did at Koxx days).

I see what your saying, but I can't get a ProII thats 116mm, if I could I would. But I don't trust anything like I trust my proII.

Wouldn't like to have a fixed hub on a 26" for some reason.

I see what your saying, but I can't get a ProII thats 116mm, if I could I would. But I don't trust anything like I trust my proII.

Wouldn't like to have a fixed hub on a 26" for some reason.

Get a profile? There like a 116mm proII

some frames just come with a little forethought. 135, vertical drop outs AND a descent tensioning set up. Oh yeah...and its not made by 9 fingered 8 year olds on break from weaving rugs (lighten up, its a freakin' joke.....).

LMAO!!! i think ill stick with 135 i hate mod setups!

Tad on the expensive side if you ask me. But people swear by them. Personally I like hopes. many reasons. Said them before.

I like hopes too, but i've got a king on my stock ;)

Just saying how stocks seem to kill profile hubs at every possible opportunity!

135mm is where it's at.

Good man(Y)

ALSO, snail cams are a bitch to set up apparantly!

Lmao. Ben, sometimes i think your pissed when your posting :P.

Snail cams are by far the easiest way to set up a wheel. Just turn them against the bolt till your chains at a nice tension, make sure it's central in between your pads and tighten the bolts...Done :)

Edited by Danny Kearns

Yet on here,

You always see people posting question about "my wheel won't stay straight"

or "snail cams not keeping tension"

With vertical dropouts, there's one position for the wheel to be in, therefore, it can't move.

:)

Edit:

And it you sidehop to the left, 135mm stock will be much more appropriate!

xD

Edited by Benjaminge

Lmao. Ben, sometimes i think your pissed when your posting :P.

Snail cams are by far the easiest way to set up a wheel. Just turn them against the bolt till your chains at a nice tension, make sure it's central in between your pads and tighten the bolts...Done :)

I'm with you danny!

I have a bit of money, So I'm thinking of getting a DOB, 116mm, Using my old mod hub. Buying a tensile freewheel, spokes, sprocket. MIGHT need a bottom bracket or run bashless =O

should be rocking!!!