Hook Woods Weekend.

BikeTrial Federation

might have a space in the van for the lift down.

i will see how it runs this week. just got it back this morning and as you could put it, shes a bit rough!!!! haha.

if someone or anyone wishes to share fuel costs thats cool.

Wayne.

So I have to ride Elite if I want my result to count >_<

I know this is the way UCI comps are run, but I for one think its rubbish! I relish a challenge and competing against people who are far better me, but that's not the only issue in trials. It is a dangerous sport, and if a rider tries to ride obstacles above his level of ability then there is a much greater risk of injury. If the sections are a similar difficulty level to other national comps then I'd be very worried for my safety riding elite. I know you can ride out of class, but to me that is just pointless. You still pay the same amount but your points count for nothing. There are no prizes and your not even competing against all the other riders of that route, only the other amateurs who aren't good enough to ride the proper category. Does that encourage new riders?

Basically, if you don't reach a certain ability level by a certain age then you have to drop your category. This may work for some sports where people start at an early age and train in clubs throughout their childhood, but this is trials! The sport is tiny and new and we should do all we can to encourage new riders to help the sport progress. I did my first competition when I was about 18/19, and I know it is a similar story for many other.

This is an often overlooked area of the rules and structure of the sport. But I for one think BIU rules are far better in this area! UCI sucks :P

ANYWAY, enough of the rant. I should hopefully be coming down for the whole weekend, although I might be too tired/injured/dead to ride on Sunday!

Joe - at our comps you don't HAVE to ride any route - you can choose. Any one can ride out of class.

I know this is the way UCI comps are run, but I for one think its rubbish! I relish a challenge and competing against people who are far better me, but that's not the only issue in trials. It is a dangerous sport, and if a rider tries to ride obstacles above his level of ability then there is a much greater risk of injury. If the sections are a similar difficulty level to other national comps then I'd be very worried for my safety riding elite. I know you can ride out of class, but to me that is just pointless. You still pay the same amount but your points count for nothing. There are no prizes and your not even competing against all the other riders of that route, only the other amateurs who aren't good enough to ride the proper category. Does that encourage new riders?

Basically, if you don't reach a certain ability level by a certain age then you have to drop your category. This may work for some sports where people start at an early age and train in clubs throughout their childhood, but this is trials! The sport is tiny and new and we should do all we can to encourage new riders to help the sport progress. I did my first competition when I was about 18/19, and I know it is a similar story for many other.

What he said.

Bout time someone changed the rules.

This is an often overlooked area of the rules and structure of the sport. But I for one think BIU rules are far better in this area! UCI sucks :P

ANYWAY, enough of the rant. I should hopefully be coming down for the whole weekend, although I might be too tired/injured/dead to ride on Sunday!

What he said.

Bout time someone changed the rules.

What's your suggestion, neither you or Matt have said what rules you would like applied to comps to accommodate new riders. If its workable we may give it a try, we do not run events with the intention of putting people off. This thread is possibly not the right place for this discussion - start a new one outlining your thoughts and we will see what we can do with your ideas.

i like how things are negotiable, i too agree the categories are abit ridiculous... it should be some what similar to BIU, in that only seeded riders (extremely good riders) get to ride elite. But I suppose you don't have any seeded riders at the moment as such, in that case, couldn't you use those who have done well in the worlds? or even those who have been seeded into the BIU elite category.

my input anyway :)

shoudl be there both weekends.. hopefully be fit enough to go through both of them lol

can i change my ride to an observationer???? :D as i will be coming down, but i wont be competing at the world championships in italy.

therefore i see no point me taking part but will be at hook woods and blackpool to observe??? if you require observers.

Wayne.

can i change my ride to an observationer???? :D as i will be coming down, but i wont be competing at the world championships in italy.

therefore i see no point me taking part but will be at hook woods and blackpool to observe??? if you require observers.

Wayne.

Onza will be wanting you to ride Wayne, also you seem to inspire the little ones with your huge mouth and jolly japes.

You will not be observing you WILL be riding even if I have to ride around with you.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Both Rave..on and I are doing it.

JP

Wayne get on your bike and ride you big girl :P

Hmm I can see peoples point that it could be too dangerous to ride the UCI sections on the saturday, but the whole purpose of the championships is to select the riders for the worlds team, so they need to be difficult. I'd say just enter and gain the experience, after all a section doesn't have to be dangerous to be difficult! Just try things in the safest way possible, or theres a particular section you dont want to ride just take a 5.

I think the UCI rules are great, why not use the YMSA trials that use the same format as a warm up to these bigger events as you can enter any class you wish there.

Also on the sunday at hook woods you can enter enter any class so choose one that suits your riding ability.

Got my entry in this morning can't wait for another weekend of fun, shame the sun won't be as good as Barca, whats everyones plans for saturday night?

I do agree with Matt and others with regards to the rules situation.

I'm 26 and ride a stock but haven't ridden in a comp for 7ish years (probably a bit more) and am only just reasonable at natural and hence would and WILL be riding blue route. As a result my rides won't count for anything but hopefully it'll be fun.

Why not just scrap the age rule? Or am I looking at this too simplistically?

Can't people just use their judgement of which route to ride? Or am I hoping that people have too much common sense - i.e. if you are doing too well in blue, you move up?

Still lokking forward to the comp though.

Jamie

Thanks to everyone who has sent their entries in, it really makes my life easier!!!

I will be leaving home to travel to Hook Woods before the mail arrives on Friday, and the on-line entry/payment system will need to be removed at 7.00pm Thursday night. If you last-minute people can send it before then, that would be great!

If anyone hasn't entered before then and does want to, please do call me on 07850 505298 so I can at least put your name on the list and make out your punchcards to make it easier on the day.

Why not just scrap the age rule?

We understand riders' concerns about the age rule, hence the extra classes (every class gets medals/awards). However, as the Saturday UCI events are sanctioned by British Cycling, the entry form was approved by them, and the World Team is to be selected by them from the results of the first two events, the official classes HAVE to be in the age groups set by the UCI.

And don't forget, the winner of each class will be the British UCI Champion, so it's only fair for the younger lads that they are competing against similar ages, physical strength etc. It would be no achievement for a title-hunting 20 year old to win the blue route over an 11 year old - hence separate classes.

As I see it, the serious people wanting to qualify can take it seriously - the rest of you just take the opportunity to have a great weekend's riding!

Hope to see you all there - give me a call if you haven't got your entry in by 7.00pm tomorrow!

Barbara

RIGHT!!!!

2spaces going spare as a lift down to hook woods, i am setting off tomorrow eve and booked into a travel lodge??? :)

i think Andrew Walker is 1 of the places, if anyone else would like a lift, M1 style let me know.

call me on 07793976264 first come first serve. (Y):D

Wayne.

We are going to travel down on Sat.

We will be camping over on Sat night at the venue. I just hope it is not crappy weather for the.

I may well have a seat for the run down if any one is stuck.

Who else is camping?????

JP

camping? :S wots that, haha

im deffinatly not camping everytime i do it pisses down. so im in a nice travel lodge.

why dont you come to our travel lodge john like you did in 2005 :D at that nice spot we stayed at. or stay in our room? the more the merrier, i dont mind sleeping in the bath.

Wayne.

camping? :S wots that, haha

im deffinatly not camping everytime i do it pisses down. so im in a nice travel lodge.

why dont you come to our travel lodge john like you did in 2005 :D at that nice spot we stayed at. or stay in our room? the more the merrier, i dont mind sleeping in the bath.

Wayne.

shouldnt of said that wayne :P, il be ringin you tomorow