Decent/professional Canned Spray

Sam F

As title says really, looking for some professional canned spray for my frame. Don't want any kind of spray to flake off etc, also will i need to put laquer on with the spray your going to recommend me? Thanks Sam.

Also, my frame as it is at the moment is a matt black Ko-Bike frame, before i spray will i need to sand off some black etc or what? Thanks.

Edited by Sam Fenchurch

If you get any standard spray from somewhere like Halfords, use some primer, do several coats and finish it with several coats of laquer, you'll be good to go. The quality of the finish depends on the hours you put in - skimp on the effort and you'll have a shitty paint-job; easy as that.

If you get any standard spray from somewhere like Halfords, use some primer, do several coats and finish it with several coats of laquer, you'll be good to go. The quality of the finish depends on the hours you put in - skimp on the effort and you'll have a shitty paint-job; easy as that.

I see what you mean, just i find halfords spray sucks.

What he said.

Ive sprayed enough frames in my lifetime to know this is the truth :P

What they said really. I'm no expert with spraying, but being as i did my own frame i thought i'd comment on what i did. Do make sure you spend time on it. Make sure to sand your frame down, you don't have to go down to the metal, it's just to roughen the surface so the paint sticks better, but make sure you sand all areas evenly. When i did my frame i rushed this and some areas are a bit too rough. start with like p120, then work your way up. Clean your frame from any paint/dust and you're ready to start spraying. I think it also helps to have some heat on your frame to also help the paint stick (but i did do mine when it was like freezing so used a portable heater thing). Definately use primer, and depending on what colour you're spraying will effect what colour primer to use. Lightly sand between coats of primer to help build up layers. I used a 500ml can of primer which gave me about 4 coats i think. For spray, i got some paint that was a bit more pearlescent mixed for me at Halfords and put into a 'holts' can i think it is, which is very good and accurate for spraying. Quite expensive as you'd need 2 cans, but i got it cheaper as i work there. I probably ended up doing about 7 coats of paint, and to finish it off about 3 coats of laquer.

Just take your time and do not rush it and it'll come out good :)

it's all in the prep and final finish, you don't need too many coats and if you do use to many the paint will be more brittle and come off easier.

The best way to get a fairly professional finish from a can is to make sure the prep is perfect,if the paint on your frame is already chipped and scratched then you'll be best to strip it.

make sure you sand or file all the little surface scratches you can even fill the big ones if you want, and then use a decent scratch filling primer, then a normal primer, then your paint, (I always wait for it to dry fully, wash the frame and t cut it at that point) then lacquer it.

I'm pretty sure there isn't such a thing as decent professional canned spray, most professional painters will use a proper spray booth or a compressor at the least

Your best bet, is to go into a auto refinishers and ask for the colour you after (know what you want thou, if you go in and ask for a can of range spray paint they won't be best pleased, I never am when we get knobs in at work asking for a can of red.)

Ask for a can or 2 of high build primer, and 3 cans of the colour of you choice, and 2 cans of 2 pack lacquer, thats suitable for the paint.

Strip the frame back to bares, and give it a good sand down with some 240 grit wet and dry or the like. When your happy with that then heat the frame a little with a hair dryer all over and give it its first light coat of high build primer. The idea of high build primer is to hide all the little imperfections, obviously your not going to be filling dints with it, but its a lot easier to work with if you want a great finish. While its drying go over it with a hair dryer until its totally dry. Not touch dry it needs to be totally hard paint, again, give it another light coat of high build and flat it between coats. Your best bet will be to go for around 3-4 coats of primer, depending how good you are at flatting your paint ;)

Then its time for the colour, give it a little heat treatment before you start as this will replicate baking the paint, it won't be anywhere near as good, but it's the best you'll manage on a home job. Same as before being light coats is the key to a good spray job, your first coat wants to near enough just dust the frame, then repeat, your frame should be totally covered by about the 3rd coat, then its up to you how much paint you apply! The more coats you apply, the harder your paint will be if applied well. after this your best of leaving it over night, for the toxin's to come out of the paint, before you apply your coats of lacquer.

With the lacquer its the same as before with taking your time and light coats being the key. Heat the frame slightly (not to much, as the lacquer will dry as it lands on the frame, and will leave a rough texture that will look flat and dull) between coats, give it a good 30-40 mins of drying time, as well as a few minutes of hair dryer to help it dry hard. For the best result, use about 3-4 coats of lacquer, as anymore won't really do anything to be honest on a bike frame.

If your applying stickers or anything afterwards, your best off to leave it a week ro so, just to be sure your not trapping toxins under the graphic's!

The comment about 'there isn't professional canned spray' What do you think it is? Spray paint is the exact same as what a prof. sprayer will use, just with air dry additive in the paint opposed to hardener. As you have all said, the finish is in the prep!

I cant at the moment sam sorry!

Urm if you want it power coated i know a place in chatham which can do it for around £40 which is darn good! i got them to do the subframe on my old mini and that was ace!

Name? Number?