Tioga Square Eight Review

forteh

Picked up a pair of near new tioga square eights off ebay for less than twenty quid so though Id test them out as a rear tyre as the tread pattern is about the closest Ive seen to a moto trials tyre in 26" :)

The largest size they come in is 2.10" but when stuffed on a wide rim (tryall in this instance) they do come up quite square, but not as wide as a 2.35 maxxis.

The tyres themselves are pretty lightweight at about 850-900g a piece, theyre also folding kevlar bead so alittle easier to get on and off the rim than steel bead, but by that means more likely to peel off the rim at low pressures.

The grip is pretty good, they will hold very well on a square edge without any problems, definitely more street orientated than natural; I cant see them being able to clear mud particularly well because the blocks are so close together.

Whilst the carcass could do with being bigger the major downfall is the absolute lack of pinch resistance, I pinched on a wheelswap landed at an angle on a brick wall - tyre was at 20 psi (my singleply highroller wouldnt have pinched at 10 psi on that) so in my opinion they are shite rear tyre because they pinch so damn easily :(

I will put a maxxis back on the rear and use the tiogas for the front, it would appear they need the pressure to stop pinching, perhaps a good tyre for a purely street (not street trials) rider.

If they made the sidewalls thicker and upped the size to at least a 2.35 then I reckon it would make a pretty good street tyre :)

Edited by forteh

I dont want to dissapoint you but i already posted a topic on sqaure eights with even a review ages ago.......

I know, it was your review that prompted me to try them ;)

You made no mention as to using them on the rear so I thought Id add my experiences as such. Better front tyre than rear though i reckon :D