Uni Accommodation

SamHolmes

Looking at accommodation for Uni soon and sorting out the loans, esc

We're off to look at a house next week and it's £300 per person (per month), there's four of us and they don't seem to think it's alot but to me it sounds so much?

Just wondered how much people are generally paying for accommodation (per month)

Where at you at uni at? Is that just rent or are any bills included? Typical student area or a 'nice' area? So many factors go into rental prices, if you think it's expensive have a look at rental prices for other houses round about and talk to them, but don't expect them to drop the price because someone else will just pay that much.

That looks like a pretty nice house to be fair.

Obviously it depends where you live, but I pay about £280 a month inc. bills at the moment. Before that I paid £240 + bills in Cardiff (nice house)

If its £300 inc bills then thats not tooo bad I'd say, but bet you could get one cheaper. £300 a month for a uni house seems steep.

It totally depends where you are. In Manchester that would be on the high side of average - mine is £325/mo (not including bills) but I live in a nice flat in a nice area, whereas I know someone who's paying £180/mo, but it's in a pretty small house in Moss Side.

The only way you'll find out whether it's comparable to other places is by having a look at different houses in the same area.

What's this all about?

Lounge False.gif

I pay £220 pcm with gas/electricity/water included.

This is in an OK part of Plymouth (where house prices are generally fairly low anyway, South West and all) and £200-£250pcm seems about normal for around here.

Matey at home lives in a slightly shit bit of London and pays £300pcm no bills included.

Only you know what the house looks like inside, but from the outside it looks brand new which should eliminate some problems such as damp/security/draughts* that can be common on older properties.

*If its been built properly, obviously ;)

I'd imagine there are ways of getting a house for cheaper, but the house isn't likely to be as nice.

How far is the house from campus/shops/the Union? I personally opted for a closer house (3 mins/10 mins/4 mins respectively) compared to a nicer house on the outskirts. You may be different...

Too me that seams like a very new and nice house for a first uni house.

i am not at uni yet but from experience of brother and friends that house might be more than others as well because you have off road parking which no-one i know at uni has.

also i by the picture looks like it has a garage but the list says it doesnt so i dont no.

generally houses i have been to that are students are not as new or nice as that but really close to the uni and also have more than 4 in the house more like 6 but that depends where you go i guess.

you also have a garden and correct me if i am wrong just going on my experience i dont know many people with a garden at uni.

Edited by GlynnP