Shotting Pain In My Elbow!

somberlaine

OK, so basically half way through the summer of 2006 I started to get a shooting pain in my left elbow. It would hurt as soon as I got on to my bike, then eased as I warmed up and then got worse after riding, once I had cooled down. Basically its a pain I get from putting my elbow under load. It doesn't hurt too much whilst under load (apart from the odd shooting pain), but then aches alot after use.

I still managed to ride a couple more months like that for summer 2006. I stopped riding at the end of summer 2006 and started again in summer 2007. Sure enough after about a months regular riding the pain came back. I rode the whole summer like it. I didn't ride for winter 2007 but during that winter, occasionally I would get a shooting pain or if I flexed my left arm, or lifted something.

Then it kind of went. Low and behold the weather is turning nice this year and i wanted to ride this summer too. I went out last week. Rode twice, and now the pain is back. I don't want to bugger up my arm long term but I'm extremely annoyed - hard to convey how annoyed without alot of swearing. Plus I wanted to get a new bike etc... but there's no point in that if I can't even ride.

The pain feels like a sharp shooting pain, or as if someone has taken a razor blade to the tendon on the inside of my elbow. (It really does hurt!)

My guess is tendonitis. If it is this, then apparently that can take up to 3 years to recover. I have bought some Ibuprofen to see if that will help and I also do a thorough warm up before riding. But it doesn't seem to help much, if at all.

I will go to the doctors but I don't see that there is much they can do and just wanted to see if any of you lot have had a similar experience and if there is anything I can do to help it.

Please help me, trials-forum!

Thanks,

Michael

me mate gets tennis elbow from riding :S

look that up?

Yeah i have it too. Its in my left elbow, and theres not much you can do about it other than complete rest, with out getting surgery of course. Talk to a doc he may suggest a cortisone shot.

Doesnt sound like tennis elbow as that affect the tendons on the outside of the elbow.

I suffered from tendonitis in my fingers years ago when I was riding bmx all the time, would get burning sensations in my fingers and eventually they would cramp up and I couldnt let go of the bars; not suffered from it much recently but Ive had a 2-3 year break from riding all the time.

Could it be a trapped nerve in your elbow? In my experience that tends to be a shooting pain rather than a throb like tendonitis, also dont forget that your funnybone is in your elbow (just a big bundle of nerves that is exposed on the inside/back so it hurts when you hit it).

Thanks for all the reply's. It's hard to feel exactly where the pain is coming from. As I type this, it's a dull ache with interspersed shooting pains - fun! If it is tennis elbow do I just have to rest then? If I rest I can't ride so I am thinking about just riding, and putting up with the pain - the pain only comes when I'm not warmed up. Do any of you reckon I migh submit myself to long term damage?

What would a cortisone shot do?

Thanks for all the reply's. It's hard to feel exactly where the pain is coming from. As I type this, it's a dull ache with interspersed shooting pains - fun! If it is tennis elbow do I just have to rest then? If I rest I can't ride so I am thinking about just riding, and putting up with the pain - the pain only comes when I'm not warmed up. Do any of you reckon I migh submit myself to long term damage?

What would a cortisone shot do?

Talk to a physio, they will be able to do what 99% of people here cant do - internet diagnosis for anything is never guaranteed :)

Cortisone is a steroid medication that has good anti-inflammatory properties.