Here's My Vid Finally... Little Help On Technique Please?

Sabiot

Hey, I finally got around to making a short vid today. Between the battery dieing and me messing my leg up it's a pretty short one. Basicly, I was looking for some help with the technique. I've never seen myself ride before but what I picked up right away was that I wasn't leaning back much or at all so I should do that to bring the front wheel up farther and thus further my clearance. But yeah... take a look. Any pointers or advice is more than welcome. The link should be on my profile to the left but if not, try this link.

http://www.trials-forum.co.uk/forum/index....ils&id=1214

Sorry to say it, but your technique is off...

What you should do is more of a manual and then kind of throw the bike up into the air. Difficult as hell to describe. But the hop is really a two stage movement, first you manual up the front wheel and then you launch yourself and the bike up and forwards. Bring the bike forward and get your ass low enough to touch the rear wheel. When at the highest point start to let the rear drop down for thouse smooth rear wheel landings.

Right now your doing more of an over emphasized correction hop. You are preloading far too much and relying on the forks to get you up.

Sorry to say it, but your technique is off...

What you should do is more of a manual and then kind of throw the bike up into the air. Difficult as hell to describe. But the hop is really a two stage movement, first you manual up the front wheel and then you launch yourself and the bike up and forwards. Bring the bike forward and get your ass low enough to touch the rear wheel. When at the highest point start to let the rear drop down for thouse smooth rear wheel landings.

Right now your doing more of an over emphasized correction hop. You are preloading far too much and relying on the forks to get you up.

Agree,

And to backhop, think the best way to do it is too do an endo, then use the motion of that to pull you back onto the rear wheel. Then basicaly just jump while keeping your feet on the pedals, and lifting up with your hands on the bars.

Get rid of the full sus :S

Agree,

And to backhop, think the best way to do it is too do an endo, then use the motion of that to pull you back onto the rear wheel. Then basicaly just jump while keeping your feet on the pedals, and lifting up with your hands on the bars.

Get rid of the full sus :S

Yeah I agree fully with you guys. I totally need to lean farther back to get the front end up higher. I could tell that as soon as I watched the vid. In a few days when the leg feels a little better I'll go back and try again. Are there any tips at all? When I attempt manuals I usually dont get the wheel too high off the ground and really have to stick my butt out. I'll have to try more stuff that gets me on just the rear wheel and get more comfy throwing my weight backwards.

PS: It's not a full suspension. It's a hardtail. And yeah, I know... not exactly the perfect bike for this kinda thing and yes I do notice the shocks absorbing some of the force I use to throw weight backwards. Nonetheless, I have some things to work on. Aside from the front wheel not going up, how was the leveling out? I know I nose dived a few times but is the technique for raising the rear wheel correct?

Your to stiff and rigid when you bunnyhop, you need to loosen up and relax more. When you were pulling up front end your legs, arms and back were practically locked straight.

You have learnt to lift the back end, which is one of the hardest parts to learn imo, So keep practising :)

Also you don't need to get rid of the sus to learn the basics, like bunny hops.

Nah the bike is fine. I ride with a guy who can do 40" + bunny hops on a 24seven crosser (jump bike). I mean, yeah sure, he might get 2" more on a trials bike, but for learning the technique that bike is fine.

Thanks again for the help guys. Even with my shin like this I wanna go out today and practice manualling and such. I need to definately get that front end up higher before I try to jump and lift. I could tell right away when I watched the vid that I wasn't doing it right. I felt completely wrong the whole time I was doing it. I'd like to say normally I do it more correct but I think that would just be wishful thinking. Are there any tips for getting the front end up but still staying nice and crouched so you can jump and explode upwards? I feel like when I want to try a manual that I won't have the compression in my legs to spring myself and the rest of the bike off the ground.

Hi mate

I started on a giant duo shock full sus and learnt bunnyhops / 180s / endos / backhops / chaintensions (lurches i think there called now) etc, everyone i rode with had either bmxs, 16 / 17" mountain bikes, just my personal opinion but I would say stay off a purpose built trials bike for as long as poss, ur bike looks fine to me. I would get out every day practise everything including dirt jumping, ride some xc, freeride and just generally thrash the bike around have some fun. the more time u spend doing that the better a rider ul be in the future because you will have much better all round bike control, big range of skills which will help big time in trials and usually better style imho.

With regards to ur bunnyhop technique, u got the hard bit done as one of the other guys said which is lifting the back end up without using the brakes. now u gotta learn the american bunnyhop or thats what it was called in my day.

I know what you mean about the manual and being in the wrong position to bunnyhop, thats why bunnyhops out of a manual are really damn hard to go big! By the sounds of that your leaning too far back, ur so far back you cant lift with ur feet which makes sense. I wouldnt say you need to explode upwards more that you need to be in a position to bring the bike up underneath you once the front wheel is off the ground if that makes sense. Try riding along slow jogging pace, pull up the front nice and hard and shift your weight back, but as the front comes up snap ur weight forward which should allow you to lift with your feet and try bring the bike up underneath you. jesus this is hard to explain! :S maybe try bunnyhopping up a curb might make it easier than just doing it on the flat.

This also might be worth a try: roll along nice and slow, do a small endo (back wheel only a few inches off the ground) and lock both brakes, as your back wheel lands lean back and pull back on the bars which should bring the front up nice and fast. Once the front wheel is say a 1-2ft off the ground (hard to measure it will feel right) still leaning back lift hard on your pedals (like you do in ur video) and bike should launch up and backwards and you should land both wheels at the same time or slightly back wheel first. This might help you get used to the feeling of lifting the back when your fronts up high and will definately help you learn the backhop when you get there.

anyway sorry if none of that made sense, best thing to do is get out and ride ride ride, u will get the techniques just a case of practise.

cheers

One last thing before I let this thread die... I have a stem that would raise my handlebars a solid 1.5"-2.5" plus put it a little more over top of the center of the front wheel. I notice a lot of riders have really high handlebars and they tend to be really overtop of the front wheel. Does this help for lifting the front wheel when you shift your weight back?

One last thing before I let this thread die... I have a stem that would raise my handlebars a solid 1.5"-2.5" plus put it a little more over top of the center of the front wheel. I notice a lot of riders have really high handlebars and they tend to be really overtop of the front wheel. Does this help for lifting the front wheel when you shift your weight back?

IMHO ur setup is absolutely fine, just stick with what u got and practise simple as that. As long as ur brakes are good enough to lock thats all you need to learn the basics I reckon. Also enjoy the learning process its the best part of ridin! get out with a load of mates and just piss around thats the best way, much better than robotically learning each technique. again all just my opinion i might be completely wrong :D