Drilling Sidewalls

Concussion

So I'm thinking about drilling the sidewalls of my front rim... couple of questions:

Is there a good method for marking the rim prior to drilling so that you get a nice equal spread of holes?

How many holes should you drill on a 26" rim?

What drill bit size should I use?

Should I be cautious of running high pressures after doing this, 40psi max?

Should the holes go all the way through the sidewall?

Should the holes be countersunk?

...is the weight saving worth it?

Is there a good method for marking the rim prior to drilling so that you get a nice equal spread of holes? Use the spokes as a guide. One hole at the spoke, one in between. Or two if you use smaller holes I guess.

How many holes should you drill on a 26" rim? See above.

What drill bit size should I use? Depending on rim, probably 4/5mm with a nice countersink to tidy it up.

Should I be cautious of running high pressures after doing this, 40psi max? Nah, she'll be reet.

Should the holes go all the way through the sidewall? Yes indeedy.

Should the holes be countersunk? See above.

...is the weight saving worth it? Depends what you mean by worth it... And what else you're doing. But I reckon drilled sidewalls look quite cool so go for it!

What rim do you currently have?

May need to get rid of my Onza Hog with pre-drilled sidewalls :P

I'd say don't go for anything bigger than a 4mm hole - by the time you countersink it more material will be removed anyway, and it'll keep a little more structural integrity of the rim.

My hog's not been ridden hard, but is still true and has no flatspots, so I'm assuming there's still enough strength left unless you're an uberbasher :)

I just done my try all rim on Saturday. we marked a line all the way round the rim then drilled one hole level with each spoke then one in between. then we countersunk it. im not sure what size drill bit i used i think it must be about 4 or 5mm.

Edited by kid creole

Just measured the Hog:

Holes are 4mm, and countersink takes them to 7mm at the largest diameter :)

If you can get your hands on a Milling machine, why not Mill out an inch section or so between each spoke :P That would look wicked, and save more weight.
...and your rim would quickly become an icosidodecagon :P