Chain Cleaning

gazf

Hi guys before you ask yes i did a search but i couldnt find anything,

My question is whats the best thing to use to clean your bikes chain with.

I have a chain cleaner but i ran out of cleaner and ive heard that washing up liquid is a good sub to the cleaners that you can buy from shops.

As it a good degreeser and would get rid of any old oil and crap on the chain. Ive also been told that its a good idea to well oil the chain once its all clean and dry.

Could anyone give them there views and advise on this please

Thanks

Gaz

Edited by gazf

If you have a chain cleaning machine then one of the water washable based degreasers such as jizer will works well, clean it with that, rinse in water, dry it immediately and lightly oil it. I use finishline wet lube (use it in my chris king aswell) but if you prefer a dry lube the finishline dry is excellent, alot less messy than the wet :)

If you havent got a cleaning machine then an old toothbrush and takeaway tray with jizer in will do the trick ;)

ive got a cleaning tool somewhere at home its the one with 3 round bruches in it that opens and closes on the chain and as you pedal the chain runs along the brushes which are going into the cleaning liquid as they go round

Cleaning the chain ith liquid dishwasher soap is good. But every 2 months I clean em with kerosene.

How to:

Take the chain off your bike

Put your chain in a small bucket or pan

Put some kerosene (half a cup will do) then shake or brush your chain (you can see all the grime in the kerosene that a liquid washer can't do)

Then wash your chain with liquid soap to get rid of the kerosene, then rinse

Dry with cloth and then spray with a silicon lubricant

Now put it on your bike

Well, that's how I do it.

Hope this helps.

Hi guys i tried the washing up liquid the other night and the chain come out looking ok then i went to put some chain lub on but i couldnt find it so i used some WD40 for now.

I just wanted to ask whats the difference between the dry and wet waxes for chains?

Is there any guidelines for when to use the different waxes

I just wanted to ask whats the difference between the dry and wet waxes for chains?

Is there any guidelines for when to use the different waxes

If youre referring to the finishline oils then in my experience the dry stuff is absolutely fine unless youre riding in very wet conditions, the wet oil is better for lubrication but can be messier if youre not careful.

Dont use any of the motorbike chain wax sprays as they will just make an appalling mess of your bike :D

Your best bet is to just pop down the road to two wheels in ambelcote and pick up some chain oil ;)

If youre referring to the finishline oils then in my experience the dry stuff is absolutely fine unless youre riding in very wet conditions, the wet oil is better for lubrication but can be messier if youre not careful.

Dont use any of the motorbike chain wax sprays as they will just make an appalling mess of your bike :D

Your best bet is to just pop down the road to two wheels in ambelcote and pick up some chain oil ;)

Thanks mate i havent been down two wheels for ages ill give them a try, I have been to the shop the back of merry Hill called DAI if you know it, they have some oils and waxes there

I use muc-off for mine. Just take off the chain, put it in a takeaway tub or similar, and the muc-off/water mix, leave for 5 mins the take out, spray/wash off, dry and then add a light spray of lube.

Thanks mate i havent been down two wheels for ages ill give them a try, I have been to the shop the back of merry Hill called DAI if you know it, they have some oils and waxes there

I know DAI very well, two wheels is a much better bike shop though ;)

Grew up in kinver so know the area very well, 90% of my bike custom (apart from trials specific stuff) goes to two wheels :)

I know DAI very well, two wheels is a much better bike shop though ;)

Grew up in kinver so know the area very well, 90% of my bike custom (apart from trials specific stuff) goes to two wheels :)

So were do you go for the trials specific things then