Bb Threads (n)

Josh PWND

Nope your royally buggered. Best bet now is to get some epoxy glue which is super strong and screw the bb in and glue it in.Otherwise buy a new frame. Or you could have a steel insert fitted but its expensive about 50-90 squid i think.

Nope your royally buggered. Best bet now is to get some epoxy glue which is super strong and screw the bb in and glue it in.Otherwise buy a new frame. Or you could have a steel insert fitted but its expensive about 50-90 squid i think.

The threads are all there it just doesnt exactly go in straight must be a way to get it in straight.

Thanks

The threads are all there it just doesnt exactly go in straight must be a way to get it in straight.

Thanks

Doesnt matter, if youve cross threaded the threads then theres not much you can do, its not like a magura mount you cant helicoil it due to its size and steel inserts arnt cheap. You could try running a tap down it to try save the threads, local bike shop should be able to do it if tis a half decent one. Depends how bad it is and you may end up finding that once it screw in and tightens up you bb the threads strip.

Threadless BBs exist.

Thing is, as its more of a back-up option, Im not sure how good they are/whether they hold up to trials. =/

yeah, aren't most modern BMX's threadless BB's? I remember my mates mongoose expert had to get the bearings drifted in instead of screwed

Help me my bb mounts have crossed on the non drive side and i dont know how to get them straight again.

Is there any way of straightening them.

Please help me???.

How much did you carry on mashing the cup into the frame once they'd started cross-threading? If they're only a bit f**ked, you may be able, with a lot of grease, to screw the BB into the frame from the drive-side, then use the centre of the BB as a sort of guide to help make the non-drive cup go in straighter?

Threadless BBs exist.

Thing is, as its more of a back-up option, Im not sure how good they are/whether they hold up to trials. =/

They don't, they're shit.

yeah, aren't most modern BMX's threadless BB's? I remember my mates mongoose expert had to get the bearings drifted in instead of screwed

There are shoulders machined into the frame so you press the larger bearings straight into the frame, then the spindle for the cranks go through those bearings, so it's a lot different to a trials setup.

Yeah, but I think the BB that's the same as the MTB bb, Euro maybe, is a screw-in.

=/

MTB + Euro = same thing.

MTB + Euro = same thing.

(Y)

BMX BBs are pretty weird. The spindle comes with the cranks, and you have to go buying a different set of bearings according to your frame shell and the spindle diameter. Unlike MTB, where its ISIS or Sq, and 68 or 73, the latter of which doesn't occur in trials AFAIK, or very often in MTB.

Help me my bb mounts have crossed on the non drive side and i dont know how to get them straight again.

Is there any way of straightening them.

Please help me???.

If most of the threads are still intact then take it to your local cycle shop and they should have the taps for the job! :D £10 £15 i reckon?

(Y)

BMX BBs are pretty weird. The spindle comes with the cranks, and you have to go buying a different set of bearings according to your frame shell and the spindle diameter. Unlike MTB, where its ISIS or Sq, and 68 or 73, the latter of which doesn't occur in trials AFAIK, or very often in MTB.

In fairness though, the vast majority of BMX frames are coming with Mid BBs now, the rest come with Spanish, and the spindle's either going to be 19mm or 22mm, so it's usually pretty straightforward either re-using bearings from your last frame, or getting hold of a new set of them.