Creating Shirts, Hodies, Etc

Z o o !!

Hello all,

For a while ive been thinking about bringing out my own Label of shirts, hoodies etc and basically im needing general info about what i need to do and where to get supplies etc. Ive already found somehwere where i can get a decent amount of plain shirts a hoodies in diff colours already i just need to clear some other things. I Also already have a name in mind atm.

If i do go a head with this idea i want to be sure of everyrthing so :

I know im going to need a good photoshop/ Designing program so that i can start to play about with what logos and diagrams that will be going onto the shirts and stuff, dont really want to be spending alot if any on this sort of software, any reccomendations on what i could use?

Also how do i go about having the shirts printed ? I asume i have to find a shot company that prints shirts or w.e, how do i go about finiding out about these, again any reccomendations for companys that people have used in the past ?

If think of anything else il add,

Post advice away please :)

Connor, x

Urmm, just a suggestion here mate. I admire your enthusiasm on this, but make sure you do your market research first!

I've seen a few of these companies being set up and then falling off the edge; make sure you don't do the same thing. T-Shirt printing is varied; so it depends on what you're looking to print. If its trials related, you have a very slim, selective market - basically this forum, which you cannot advertise on unless you cough up some dollars.

If you're planning on 'trade marking' a design to your label, you need to find out what people want and what people are willing to pay - there is no point you being out of pocket by spending £X on printing when people won't pay more than £X - in which case it has to be a simple design which won't cost too much money.

You can get t-shirts for next to nothing these days (online) so you need to come up with something that appeals to the masses.

May I recommend a basic questionnaire before jumping in the deep end? :)

Good point, Gave that a little thought but only what the print will be, its not going tobe trialsrealated so hopefully it will interest more people. I had thought about what the design was goig to be and decided that its not going to be trialsy because of the ammount of trials rides compared to the non trials riders, I think that i will make a questionnaire To give me an idea on what people would pay, what sort of diagrams they like, how much they would pay etc. :) Thanks for yout input (Y).

Did a few tees a while back. Was ok bit hard to sell locally but aslong as your prepared to sell a few a week to begin with and let it slowly pick up.

Most printing companies I spoke to included tees in the price of printing. However if your using your own tees look for a local place and see if you can get it cheap. Might be worth using as many people as possible to look at designs you made up. Give input. Not just TF but use all sorts. Use bebo, myspace etc for getting peoples attention.

Worth using Big Cartel too. Take a look on there for a few things and contact some of the better people to see just what does sell well. Can sell on their too.

No offence but you seem to have no knowledge of design etc at the minute? So what makes you think you can create a range of tee shirts that will make people want to buy them more than other people who have experience in the field.

Just seems like you should get good at what you're doing first before pumping in a load of money an think about what makes your stuff up to scratch. Also think about the kinda company you're trying to create. If it was me then i certainly wouldnt buy cheap tees as i'd wanna produce something of good quality, but i guess you could just be aiming to make cheap products.

I suggest starting to learn with illustrator and photoshop for now and while your at it make a myspace and website and then pick up a fanbase through that and get the name and brand identity known then pump the money in.

Urmm, just a suggestion here mate. I admire your enthusiasm on this, but make sure you do your market research first!

I've seen a few of these companies being set up and then falling off the edge; make sure you don't do the same thing. T-Shirt printing is varied; so it depends on what you're looking to print. If its trials related, you have a very slim, selective market - basically this forum, which you cannot advertise on unless you cough up some dollars.

If you're planning on 'trade marking' a design to your label, you need to find out what people want and what people are willing to pay - there is no point you being out of pocket by spending £X on printing when people won't pay more than £X - in which case it has to be a simple design which won't cost too much money.

You can get t-shirts for next to nothing these days (online) so you need to come up with something that appeals to the masses.

May I recommend a basic questionnaire before jumping in the deep end? :)

did you/ do you, do buisness studies haha

did you/ do you, do buisness studies haha

Only as a GCSE :) But always been interested.

Most businesses fail due to a lack of market research, people are just too ready to jump in and get started that they don't understand the customer or what they need; hence people making tee shirt designs that only they like, not what the consumers like.

Tee shirt design is so wide spread that its difficult to make a lot of money in, but if you have a unique idea and friends in the right places, it can be worth it.

Personally I'd look into other methods; ebay is a cash cow if you use it right - I have plenty of ideas and I'm using a lot of them now...but they're mine ;)