Motorbikes

froggy

Hello, I would like to buy a motorbike next year. I'm hoping someone can help me, I don't have a clue how much it will cost and what is needed. I have a full UK driving license and own my own car which I'm insured on. I don't know if that will help anything but the information I'm looking for is;

- Is there a motorbike test? How long does it take, how much does it cost and what does it consist of?

- How much is motorbike insurance for a 21 year old?

- What size engine/bike do you need to drive on the motorway? Can I buy one of those straight away or would I need to buy a smaller bike?

- Would it be legal for me to carry a passenger if I wanted too?

And some general advice on buying a motorbike, with a budget or around 1000 pounds.

Thanks in advance x

You need to do a CBT to ride any motorbike, it costs around 100 quid.

A CBT lets you use a 125cc bike with L plates, and no passenger

a CBT and a full car license gives you the power to ride a 50cc with no L's - :lol:

The test, (the full license one, i mean) it costs a fair bit, rather like the car test. You'd not do badly to do a crash course, the reason being that i think in october the test changes to be harder, and for you to have to visit training centres that will be few and far between.

:(

I think a 125 can go on the motorway, they can nearly hit 100, or just over, so they'll go on one.

Insurance will be way cheaper than a car's, the tax is cheaper and bikes are more efficient so the petrol will cost less, unless you buy a 2-stroke, lol.

Edited by Revolver

So how long would it take to be able to drive a 125 with a passenger? Thanks

erm an hour sitting theory, 6 hour day doing your cbt, 2 days of lessons, then like 3 hours one morning before and including your test, so at shortest like 4 days. (obviously not by thursday, but you could possibly book it for a 4 day slot in 3 -4 weeks)

erm an hour sitting theory, 6 hour day doing your cbt, 2 days of lessons, then like 3 hours one morning before and including your test, so at shortest like 4 days. (obviously not by thursday, but you could possibly book it for a 4 day slot in 3 -4 weeks)

So I can do that straight away? I don't need to be driving with L plates for an amount of time before taking that test? Do you know how much those tests/lessons cost? Thanks for all your help.

If you did a full intensive course, you could go from having no motorbike entitlement to full license - albeit at the beginning of your two years limited to 125ccs - in a week, or 5 days.

That would mean no L plates. Then, on top of that, if you're 21+, you can take the DAS, a test that takes you from 125cc motorbikes to unlimited engine size.

So I can do that straight away? I don't need to be driving with L plates for an amount of time before taking that test? Do you know how much those tests/lessons cost? Thanks for all your help.

erm for me to go from car license to bike license cost me like £470 all in, think bongo did his for a couple of hundred les.

nah theres no time limits or anything

If you did a full intensive course, you could go from having no motorbike entitlement to full license - albeit at the beginning of your two years limited to 125ccs - in a week, or 5 days.

That would mean no L plates. Then, on top of that, if you're 21+, you can take the DAS, a test that takes you from 125cc motorbikes to unlimited engine size.

if you sit your full test, your not limited to 125 cc's at all, if you sit your full test, you could ride a hyabusa turbo back from the test centre. albeit restricted to 33bhp

if you sit your test on a 125 (i.e if your under 21, or have woman like arms) your limited to any bike, but it has to be below, or restricted to 33bhp for 2 years, if you sit your test on a bike producing 46.6 bhp or more then you can ride any bike straight away