Budget Square Taper Cranks

I'm rebuilding my bike (DDG shooter) after a few years of it sitting idle. The drive train is worn out, and I've decided to go single speed. I just bought an 18 tooth ACS freewheel, and am after some cheap(ish) cranks with a 22t chain ring and a bash ring (length probably 170mm or 175mm - to replace 175mm STX-RC cranks with a home made bash ring). I've looked at the DDG and mission cranks on this website - what do you reckon? I've been out of the scene for a while so I'm not sure what to get.

Any help much appreciated.

Edited by greenmeansgo

Personally i think that for the money your willing to pay, you may get better deal on this forum. seen as how your pre-member you can't use the for sale threads yet /:, but anyway,

wait till you get validated and search for some middleburns (Y) you can't really go wrong, maybe pick up a bb to go with them.

hope this helps out - james :)

Thanks guys, that sounds like a good plan (except for the waiting :() £30-40 sounds like sensible money too.

It looks like the for sale threads work on a similar format to eBay - is that right?

Erm, sort of. People pay with paypal sometimes :)

Normally, the seller makes a topic, displays item, describes condition with picture and posts an asking price. People tend to haggle a bit, then they exchange money and addresses and bob is your fathers brother.

Cool, thanks. Second hand Middleburns sound like the way to go.

But out of interest - does anyone have any experience with either of those cranks I linked to?

If i was you i would'nt go for either of those. Mission cranks are budget and will not last forever. As for the DDG's....i was told they are awesome cranks, so i bought a new set last week. After a week they have already rounded and are now offically f**ked. So i would not recommend them. Also they rub on my frame. Go for middleburns like everyone else said.

Ok, thanks for the info.

Also they rub on my frame.
If you're having problems with this, you probably need to fit a BB with a longer axle (i.e. it's not down to the cranks themselves unless they're flexing a lot). Bear in mind that some cranks push onto the axle slightly more than others, so you might have to play around and fit a couple before you get the right size. Edited by greenmeansgo