Style For A Wedding Reception

JD™

Right, I've got a wedding reception to go to tonight, and I think I've pretty much made my mind up but I thought I'd look for opinions to see whether I've chosen completely wrong or not!

Obviously, being a Friday wedding you can tell it's not a big fancy do for a start which is true. It's also not mega close people in my lives, just people who live in the same flats - yea, no friends right? Nah, they're a cool bunch, but that's not the point.

Also obviously, I'm not going to the main event either, just the free bar section afterwards...

3 options style wise, all going around a fairly normal suit trousers and purple shirt base:

* Suit Jacket

* Very smart black v neck

* Waistcoat

So which one would you choose and why? As far as I'm concerned, they all look pretty swish and I'll say that my final 2 options before I decided (pretty much) were the last 2 there. Mainly because my suit is a bit shit..

I'd go for (if its an option), black smart trousers with black or brown shoes and a white/light blue shirt. No tie!

I usually find at wedding receptions I end up with 1 of 3 things; fag burns, split drink or blood.

So don't wear anything tooooo expensive.

I'd go for (if its an option), black smart trousers with black or brown shoes and a white/light blue shirt. No tie!

I usually find at wedding receptions I end up with 1 of 3 things; fag burns, split drink or blood.

So don't wear anything tooooo expensive.

Haha yea, I know what you mean. Any weddings I've been to before I've been to the actual ceremony though so it's easy - wear a suit. With this I'm pretty certain on black shoes, black smart trousers, purple shirt with a thin matching tie (not fully done up done worry) and I'm pretty much decided on the jumper, but didn't know whether it's too casual. Seems smart enough to me.

Suppose the best way would be to treat it like any other Friday night and wear what you feel comfortable in as long as its pretty smart.

Nothing like going out for the night in clothes you don't feel right in...completely ruins the night!

Good Luck!

Suppose the best way would be to treat it like any other Friday night and wear what you feel comfortable in as long as its pretty smart.

Nothing like going out for the night in clothes you don't feel right in...completely ruins the night!

Good Luck!

Cheers, that helps :)

The general rule for weddings is grey suit, white shirt, gold tie. Avoid black or you'll look like you're at a funeral!!!

As it's only the reception you're going to, if you want to blend in, you'll find most men wear what they wore for the ceremony but minus one of two things, either the tie OR the suit jacket, so wear one of the other, this makes is more casual while still keeping a degree of formality!

Davey

The general rule for weddings is grey suit, white shirt, gold tie. Avoid black or you'll look like you're at a funeral!!!

As it's only the reception you're going to, if you want to blend in, you'll find most men wear what they wore for the ceremony but minus one of two things, either the tie OR the suit jacket, so wear one of the other, this makes is more casual while still keeping a degree of formality!

Davey

Sounds like the plan is working. If I get ridiculed I'll be sure to get pics as proof of how stupid I looked!

I would have thought that most people just wear what they wore to the ceremony. And I'm guessing most people will have gone to the ceremoney? Why not just take the suit - pretty easy to get rid of the jacket and/or tie / top hat if it's too formal.