Cutting Tyres?

stunt man t

i cut some off my monty tyre and to be honest it didnt make any difference to the grip and only saved 40g so no point mate and why would thy make the nobbles to then get cut off?

i no but ive heard a few people doing it, and want to make my bike super lite (Y)

then again why would they make a rim smooth, for us to grind it? :giggle:

I cut the side knobbles on my rear creepy crawler, and the little diagonal ones on my front Try-All. Saved 130g in total, and they both definately grip the edges of things better.

How much weight you save depends on the knobbles you cut, if you cut any of the middle section blocks on the rear tyre, you'll save about 50g. If you cut the larger ones on the sides, you'll save around 100g. I weighed the tyre before and after, and that's what I saved.

Works brilliantly, but I reckon that wear life with be shorter, and they look really wierd.

Personally I think that trying to save weight is sad. Pro's do it. But just ride your bike as it is. I mean cutting knobbles of your tyres thats just silly. 100g lol. I don't give 2 shits about grams.

Edited by Oli Smith

I cut the side knobbles on my rear creepy crawler, and the little diagonal ones on my front Try-All. Saved 130g in total, and they both definately grip the edges of things better.

How much weight you save depends on the knobbles you cut, if you cut any of the middle section blocks on the rear tyre, you'll save about 50g. If you cut the larger ones on the sides, you'll save around 100g. I weighed the tyre before and after, and that's what I saved.

Works brilliantly, but I reckon that wear life with be shorter, and they look really wierd.

Could you not just have weighed the Knobbles after you cut them?

:P

Personally I think that trying to save weight is sad. Pro's do it. But just ride your bike as it is. I mean cutting knobbles of your tyres thats just silly. 100g lol. I don't give 2 shits about grams.

I agree somewhere along the way with that, I think that making your bike too weak to save weight is a bit silly, and I'm a fairly shite rider, but I'm good enough to be able to feel the difference between a light bike and a heavy one. Light bikes are less tiring to ride, you can make it to the end of the section without being completely knackered with a lighter bike.

Could you not just have weighed the Knobbles after you cut them?

:P

Who said I didn't. ;)

I'm all for thinking they give better grip.

When you cut every other outer tread off, the remaining ones stand proud from what is now a bald area of tyre so in that tread is like a hook whereas if there was a tread occupying the empty space it would not have the same hook effect.

I guess the best way to think of it would be a pedal with lots of pins in it, if you have lots of pins the surface area would be greater (which should therefore mean more friction and therefore grip), but if this was the case we would be seeing completely flat pedals with no pins at all, in which we all know a pedal with pins (back to the hooking idea) has better grip than pedals with missing pins.

Its probably one of the best minor weight saving techniques about, tyre wear is amazingly different, and it doesn't make your bike any weaker, it probably saves about the same weight as drilled sidewalls (but again without the weaknesses).

right, done it!

just cut the nobs off the outer tread,

and weighed the bits i cut off,

using my mums kitchen scales :giggle:

and they weigh 2oz :$

thats like 52g, isnt it?

On the rear? You cut every other one off yea? Not every single one?

IMO it would be more useful to have a shit before you go out that to do it.

Sweet so I weigh 100lbs and my bike weighs 50lbs I'd be better off than someone who weighs 200lbs with a 20lbs bike. I see where you are coming from there.

IMO it would be more useful to have a shit before you go out that to do it.

Theres always someone whos says this. You dont through shits around up walls do you. It will do f**k all difference having a shit as the bike is no lighter. In a comp a lighter bike will help from tireing because your throughing a lighter bike around. How on earth will having a shit do that.

Just thought id say.

Sweet so I weigh 100lbs and my bike weighs 50lbs I'd be better off than someone who weighs 200lbs with a 20lbs bike. I see where you are coming from there.

100lbs, you are one light dude!

I went on a ride today where about half the riders have cut knobbles off. It has been proven to be cool because Bigman has done it. :P

Theres always someone whos says this. You dont through shits around up walls do you. It will do f**k all difference having a shit as the bike is no lighter. In a comp a lighter bike will help from tireing because your throughing a lighter bike around. How on earth will having a shit do that.

Just thought id say.

The point i was making was your saving like 100g 200g at most. Its useless. it wont make a difference at all. I dont think you would even notice a difference on the bike. Ok it all adds up in the end but pft leave them as they are. If your riding comps with the potential of wet muddy rocks would you wanna be cutting tread off?

Your not gonna go out and gap 3" more because you have 200g less.

200g would also make sweet FA to your stamina.

Trust me, you can feel a 250g difference when your bikes 8.8kg to start with. It all adds up anyway, If you get 2 bikes next to each other, where one is 10kg and the other is 8.5/9kg, the difference is massive. I know because I did it.

RIMG0026.jpg

I was in between bikes at the time, but still, the difference was massive.

EDIT: The one nearest had my 06 short frame on there, once I got my 08 Long I built it up with my 07 long to compare, the geo was almost identical between the 08 and the 07.

Edited by Muel