Profile Hub

JohnBanks

Hey,

My front chain ring and my rear cog on my profile aren’t in line with each other making my chain not go on straight. Therefore making the chain creak when it goes round the chain is brand new and I am running gearing 18, 12. I was thinking can I swap the cog round so the teeth are on the outside and the smooth part is on the inside. Its hard to explain so I will draw a picture.

post-10149-1218637018_thumb.jpg

So do you think i should try it and do u think it would work?

Thanks,

John

Edited by JohnBanks

So your chain alignment isn't straight? That's the problem?

This will cause the chain to have uneven stress on one side and will probably snap soon. The Ko BB is 127.5mm in length yeah? Get a 122.5mm axle bottom bracket, that should give enough room for a freewheel and bring your chain in line.

I used to run a FSA Platinum BB with my Profile a few years ago and that was fine. Although i can't remember the length but it was with an Eno and bash ring. I dunno if you could go to 118 or not, i think that would be verrrrrrrry close if it did fit.

[edit]

Oh, once you've sorted it, do yourself a favour and buy a brand new chain!

Edited by eskimo

I'd be pretty amazed if you could get a FFW setup to work with a 118mm BB spindle. Apart from a Dicta on a pretty fresh pair of Muscleman cranks (So they didn't sit too far onto the BB tapers), I couldn't get anything to work on a 122mm BB spindle either. It's only ever been 127.5mm square taper or 128mm ISIS BBs that have worked out for me.

I had Echo Forged cranks wth a Tensile on a 122, but I had to grind the crank down a bit so the freewheel would screw on without the spacer. Theres a plain bit after the thread, so I didn't grind any of the thread off.

I'm now running a Monty TI bb and cranks, both Isis, with a Tensile ffw, an atomz bashring and about 4mm of space. Nice.

I'd be pretty amazed if you could get a FFW setup to work with a 118mm BB spindle. Apart from a Dicta on a pretty fresh pair of Muscleman cranks (So they didn't sit too far onto the BB tapers), I couldn't get anything to work on a 122mm BB spindle either. It's only ever been 127.5mm square taper or 128mm ISIS BBs that have worked out for me.

:giggle:

The thread is about a Profile though Mark ;)

The thread is about a Profile though Mark ;)

Sure is, I was more talking about BB lengths in relation to:

So your chain alignment isn't straight? That's the problem?

This will cause the chain to have uneven stress on one side and will probably snap soon. The Ko BB is 127.5mm in length yeah? Get a 122.5mm axle bottom bracket, that should give enough room for a freewheel and bring your chain in line.

I used to run a FSA Platinum BB with my Profile a few years ago and that was fine. Although i can't remember the length but it was with an Eno and bash ring. I dunno if you could go to 118 or not, i think that would be verrrrrrrry close if it did fit.

[edit]

Oh, once you've sorted it, do yourself a favour and buy a brand new chain!

f**k knows where i was at right then.

Best sort that out. I had a short 122.5mm FSA Plat bb with my Profile, that sorted out the chainline fine. But i honestly don't know why i brought the Eno into it. Your guess is as good as mine.

But the follow up would be, measure how much further in you need the sprocket (minus) that off 127.5 and you should get your bb length that you need.

I can't remember the Profile sprocket setup, but if changing the cog round doesn't interfere with the lock ring then you should be okay. But unless your change is pretty much straight your going to get issues.

It's been days since you encountered the problem, why haven't you tried it? It only requires removing the lock ring...

Then go from there.

Long story, I ordered the frame, bb, headset, chain and forks from trials-uk a couple of days before i went on a week’s holiday expecting them to be there when I got back. They weren’t, so looked at my e-mails and there wasn’t one...so I sent an e-mail wondering where my order was and they said it was on its way and should be there for tomorrow. it also said the forks where out of stock but there hadn’t been an e-mail telling me this before I e-mailed them when i got back :(. So I sorted it all that out with them and the forks still haven’t arrived so can’t build my bike up fully or ride it so just wanted to see what people had to say about my problem, before the forks arrived and according to Mike D you can’t actually change the cog around because of a lip on the cog itself so I wanted to see what other options I had.

Cheers,

John

Edited by JohnBanks