Magura Problems.

G-baby158

Hi, my piston in my 05+ lever has a really slow return, how do i fix it? isit just rebleeding it wil oli ?

I've had this problem with a few of my 05 levers the best thing you can do is put a piston from the older model in. It worked a treat for me. I think the newer pistons are just a tiny bit too big and tend to jam.

I've had this problem with a few of my 05 levers the best thing you can do is put a piston from the older model in. It worked a treat for me. I think the newer pistons are just a tiny bit too big and tend to jam.

Done that thats whats in there now.

Do you think it would just need a oli bleed to lube up the piston ?

Edited by G-baby158

Done that thats whats in there now.

Do you think it would just need a oli bleed to lube up the piston ?

Is the new piston pre 05 from the older style lever?

A bit of lube always helps. maybe give it a good clean out aswell incase there's some dirt or something in there.

Is the new piston pre 05 from the older style lever?

A bit of lube always helps. maybe give it a good clean out aswell incase there's some dirt or something in there.

My lever is a 05+ and the piston inside is out of a 04, i took it out and filled the hole with WD40 and put it around the piston aswell but that seemed to make it worse, what shall i use to lube it up ? Oil ?

EDIT: i think thats why my brake isn't bleeding proply aswell as its not pushing the pistons out as far as it used to on the slaves.

Edited by G-baby158

Stoopid computer crashed.

My lever is a 05+ and the piston inside is out of a 04, i took it out and filled the hole with WD40 and put it around the piston aswell but that seemed to make it worse, what shall i use to lube it up ? Oil ?

EDIT: i think thats why my brake isn't bleeding proply aswell as its not pushing the pistons out as far as it used to on the slaves.

I found that WD-40 made it worse too. It seems to make it sticky. The best thing you can use is magura mineral oil. I've got royal blood in my new magura on my coust (thats just how it came I assume its royal blood) and it feels really nice.

It really is a ball ache having to piss around pulling the piston out to lube it all the time and messing about. You have to check and make sure that the piston springs back on its own before you bleed it ideally.

Whats in your system now? water? Oil? When water and WD40 mixes it turns into a horrible thick goop. That could be jamming your system. If you do lube the piston use lube or grease.

Water atm, im going on holiday on saturday and im taking my bike, i might just put DOT 4 in there and see what its like and hopfly it will make the lever fine again.

Why ? people have told me it was good, ive got it in my front brake (Magura Louise FR).

Magura hs33 has plastic seals soo dot 4 rapes the seals.. your louise has metal seals and dot 4 is thicker so it keeps the metal seals lubed.

DOT fluid is worse for seals than Canadians are. Fact.

But yeah, just re-bleed it. If you don't totally flush all traces of oil out of your system when you change to water, it f**ks shit up. Just re-bleed it now with water and I can pretty much guarantee you'll get some pretty funky shit coming out of your brake.

Alternatively, just clean + lube the actual brake cylinder pistons themselves.

DOT fluid is worse for seals than Canadians are. Fact.

But yeah, just re-bleed it. If you don't totally flush all traces of oil out of your system when you change to water, it f**ks shit up. Just re-bleed it now with water and I can pretty much guarantee you'll get some pretty funky shit coming out of your brake.

Alternatively, just clean + lube the actual brake cylinder pistons themselves.

Yeah thats what i was going to do, will it be ok use DOT 4 to lube the piston up and then bleed with water ?

Use ordinary oil or very light grease rather than DOT4. Mostly keep the DOT 4 away from any Magura seals.

To bleed it?

Lightweight fork oil seems to do the trick for some people. Can't remember the specific brand though... but yeah, water always worked for me. Bit o' anti-freeze for the coming winters months too ;)

Yeah, what you've done is the same as I did. I bled my brakes with wd40. Its alright until you snapp the croosover and have to bleed again. I didnt have any wd left so I bled with water. But when you pump the water up to the lever, a load of black shit comes out, really gungy and gooey. And I thought, Itll be reet. But then when I finished up my brake was wank. So the best thing to do is take your cylinders out and stick the bleed tube into one of the wholes and get a track pump attach it to the tube and blow air into the cylinders to blow all the crap mixture of wd and water out. Because the mixture is sticky and It can block up your pipe etc. So the best option is to blow it all out. Then lube the pistons etc, making it smoother again. Basically you've got loads of shit in your brake thats not working to lubricate the brake. You need something to push agaisnt each other etc. nd your brake is full off gunge. So clean it all out. Then grease up or whatever then bleed it.

Should do the trick. But If it doesnt let us know. Andd never use Dot fluids rots your brake down. Use water. WD40. Or the standard magura mineral oil.

But make sure your nrake is clean before you rebleed. Because your just filling it with shit...

Oli x