Looking Ahead And Balancing

Jitters

Hi all,

Noticing a bit of a potential problem that I'd like a bit of advice on. I am still new to trials. I am realizing that as I approach obstacles - say to my left or right side - I tend to look (or stare maybe) straight down at my tyre just before preparing for a sidehop or something. Most times, as soon as I look right or left to my landing area I begin to follow that way with my balance - which usually makes a mess of it.

I suppose it's a natural reaction, and I'll keep practicing, but was hoping for a few pointers if others have noticed and worked through a similar issue. Some XC riders have suggested looking quite a bit ahead of myself before I roll up to something, kindof like you would while riding singletrack - scanning ahead on the trail rather that an inch in front of you.

Thank you for any input :)

i remember that in my P.E. class my teacher told me that when we are using the trampetes you have to look straight ahead or you get put off balance so if think it would be the same when you are balancing

my point is is if you look straight your fine if you look left or right youll drift off in that direction

lol...i remember ashton writing in MBUK a few years ago (dont ask me why) that everyone is different. Where as some people look dead ahead on a balance line, I tend to look about 2-3 feet infront of my front wheel. Some people close their eyes ;)

For gaps... I set up looking down, then about a second before I take off I look at the landing and absorb the shape of it, seeing where I can get extra grip from and how to put the bike in the right position to get that grip :)

Thank you for the input, everyone.

I don't know if closing my eyes works for me, but I did try it for a few little things. I have concentrated on looking ahead for about 3 feet, as suggested, until I start setting up and get my balance just right - then get a quick look where I want to go and it seems to be working quite nicely. I've pretty much stopped my habit of looking straight down as I roll up to stuff.

Cheers!