House Insurance

Caleb

Hi all, had an accident the other day which involved my cast iron fireplace falling out from the wall.

the fire place had been re-fitted around christmas time prior to decorating and had my 32" lcd tv on top of it.

basically the fireplace (secured by 4 long screws with wall plugs) fell when i was in bed just after heavy rain and a bit of a small scale storm, not sure if thats relevent but thought id mention it.

the fireplace came down against a bike box flinging the tv onto my table/sofa, smashing a glass chess board and bending the tracking arm on my turntable.

the record player was just an old technics and the chess board was worthless but im wondering about the chances of a successfull claim (probably very low i know)?

Any one claimed before on a similar situation?

Do not mention the flooding/rain unless you are SURE that you are covered for 'acts of god'. This is a legal term. A lot of policies specifically exclude this, so you would not be covered if you said that the fireplace fell becasue of the rain. It f**ked a lot of people over in the floods of 2007.

All in all you are safer just going straight in with accidental damage as the cause, or something else you know you are covered for (faulty workmanship?). The cause you should cite as being something other than the rain/storm. You would be a fool to mention these things unless you are sure you are covered.

cheers for the advice, think an inspector is coming round on Thursday so will keep the thread updated.

think i might just claim for the tv and pay for the rest myself in case they think im being greedy.

on the other end of the scale i have an acer laptop upstairs with a broken screen i could say was left on the table when the fireplace came down . . . (only kidding)

haha i was considering contacting an ebay shop and trying to get a receipt, but think ill just be honest. The tv was a bargain when i got it but had to get a remote from America, and travelled to collect so gonna price it around £300

ive just bought a 42" lcd tv too actually, that shouldn't deter them from a pay out should it? as ill be using the replacement if i even get one for uni

• 4 months later...