Rim Bending

Henrik Y

I was in Borlange today and got a few clips.

I was also riding with my FS kona dawg and learned that they are not for playing. But I have an alex32 rim lying somewhere.

I'm not sad for the rim, I'm a little happy because I made my first small tucking moves today.

Borlnge0809271.jpg

Borlnge0809273.jpg

Borlnge0809272.jpg

Did you not have any spoke tension at all? That rim just folded like paper.

:-

There was avarage spoke tension but the rim is not made for this style of riding. It's a rolling along the street or lighter woods rim. I also hit the weak spot in the rim so that it cracked in the joint.

I was thinking about putting echo trial rims on it but I have an alex32 lying around and I can't afford it at the moment.

Loads of great rims are pinned, it's perfectly possible for a pinned rim to be awesome!

Take a closer look at some trials rims...

yep thats how most trials rims out there doesn't give a good build in comparison to something like a EX721, they're not awesome because there's no advantage having the rim just pinned and not welded together except to make it weaker...and cheaper obvs.

trials rims are so rubbish it doesn't need a close look you can tell they're shite from a distance!

anyway, before anyone picks up on... the fact i run trials rims is because i need wide rims.. so not by choice really.

steve

I also agree. Rims like the Echo 07 don't really have much strength. It seems all Deng did was increase the sidewall thickness. They don't hold their shape without a good amount of spoke tension. Whereas say a D521 would hold itself without the need of decent spokes to an extent. Also i find pinned rims break away from them self before their life is actually over. And trials rims, the finish is appalling, you just need to look at the Tryall & Echo range to see the lack of finish of the holes. Thank god for thick rim tape!

I also agree. Rims like the Echo 07 don't really have much strength. It seems all Deng did was increase the sidewall thickness. They don't hold their shape without a good amount of spoke tension. Whereas say a D521 would hold itself without the need of decent spokes to an extent. Also i find pinned rims break away from them self before their life is actually over. And trials rims, the finish is appalling, you just need to look at the Tryall & Echo range to see the lack of finish of the holes. Thank god for thick rim tape!

exactly.

sorry henrik for stealing your video post :P

steve

exactly.

sorry henrik for stealing your video post :P

steve

nop. it's in my interest right now when my rim is broken and I'm not sure on what I should get to replace it.

I was thinking about an Alex DX32. What do you think about that? Can I hit the slopes without being afraid of breaking it right away?

Yeah the DX32 is pretty solid. But it's not that great with side impacts. Well, it flexes from side impacts more than say an Echo rim. It's also just pinned. But it has a low profile, not overly wide and has a respective weight, so you know it's not going to fold straight over like that Mavic. If you want something solid maybe look into them Atomlab GI rims?