How Many Teeth!

Dan81

Oh...I can get a 19 or 20 rear??? where can I buy that? the most I found on tartybikes was an 18t rear...everything else seems to be much smaller - like 15t max on some makes.

I need a new front anyway so not bothered about that.

Thanks for the help so far btw.

Have you got a screw on front sprocket? It might be worth going to an 18t front sprocket, or a 16, then you can run 18:15 or 16:14.

What cranks have you got?

No I can only go to a 20t front - its a bolt on. Screw on ones didnt exist when I last rode bikes!

Do you

Have a front freewheel then go 18-12. Rear freehub 19-12. Or you could run 16-12 ratio.

He has a stock, these use completely different gearing due to the wheel size. 18:12 is a typical ratio for mods. For stocks it's usually 18:16, 18:15 which are fairly similar to 22:18 - 22:20.

The ratios you're suggesting are pretty random, bare in mind that 1T already makes a very big difference in the way a bike rides.

He has a stock, these use completely different gearing due to the wheel size. 18:12 is a typical ratio for mods. For stocks it's usually 18:16, 18:15 which are fairly similar to 22:18 - 22:20.

The ratios you're suggesting are pretty random, bare in mind that 1T already makes a very big difference in the way a bike rides.

At last...someone making sense of this!

Looking around on the net I can only find (for stock bike) 18t max on the back....so do you think if I drop to a 20t on the front it will feel similar to my current 22:21 as 22:18 is too hard to push from standstill? Will 2 teeth on the front compensate enough?

At last...someone making sense of this!

Looking around on the net I can only find (for stock bike) 18t max on the back....so do you think if I drop to a 20t on the front it will feel similar to my current 22:21 as 22:18 is too hard to push from standstill? Will 2 teeth on the front compensate enough?

20:18 should just feel a tiny bit harder compared to 22:21. So i would suggest to try 20:18 and 20:17 and see what you prefer.

Edited by mikee999

Done some searching and a lot of reading.....then started working out the ratio's.....so I want to try out 20:19 or if not 20:18 but I wanted to get one of the wider sprockets (so not to ruin the body-thing it sits on)....but can't find any listed on the net.........any help or links?

Cheers for all your comments so far btw, waaaaay more help than asking a bike shop (yesterday leisure lakes suggested 32:16!!!!!!!)

You can't get 20T 4 bolt rings.

If you have a 22T front, personally I was finding 18 a bit hard on the back so switched to 19 on the back.

I've got a 19T Surley cog that has only been ridden a handful of times you can have for £10 if you want (PM me). (Now running 18-16 due to 22T not fitting on my new frame)

Cheers,

Jamie

Hi i know this isnt helping the guy at the top but its about the same subject ^_^

i have a tbird 04 just started riding say month ago ,damaged a sprocket tooth ,it has 24 teeth well 23 and half at moment

but could i say, get a 22 or 20 with no problems or would i have to change something else aswell?

ANY advice would be great

You can't get 20T 4 bolt rings.

If you have a 22T front, personally I was finding 18 a bit hard on the back so switched to 19 on the back.

I've got a 19T Surley cog that has only been ridden a handful of times you can have for £10 if you want (PM me). (Now running 18-16 due to 22T not fitting on my new frame)

Cheers,

Jamie

22:18 is too tough for me to push so appreciate the offer but I think will have to try a 20T rear if I can only get a 22T 4 bolt.

just a suggestion but instead of buying lots of different rear singlespeed cogs why not get a cheap road casstte block (in v. close ratio) then you can swap between ratios quite easily until you find one that works for you! (i've just tried it and found that 22-18 works for me but maybe not for everyone will be getting a singlespeed setup soon!)

Its not that silly when you havent ridden a bike in 6 years....I rode all afternnon on 22:21 and although a bit light theres no way I could have used 18.

Debating just getting a more moden set up - b/b (maybe isis I dunno whats best?), crank and screw on chainring. Seems like these bolt on ones are becoming/have become outdated?

Are these http://www.selectbikes.com/index.php?act=v...mp;productId=35 Echo cranks any good? then theres the question of what size crank (more confusion).