What Freewheel For 20"

trials13boy

hi I'm getting an Echo team at Christmas and I was wondering which freewheel I should go for as I'm not sure if my mate has changed it from the broken one. I have narrowed my choice down to four. Here's a list of them;

Tensile freewheel.

Monty 221 Ti 6-Pawl.

Try-all 108.9.

White industries ENO Trials.

Tensile freewheels are great. I've used one before and had no problems with it. Many of my friends have also used them and had no problems.

I've also used the Try-All freewheel and the White Industries ENO.

My Try-All exploded within a weeks worth of use, i was extremly disapointed with that.

As for the ENO, Over-all a brilliant freewheel. I just found they required to much maintence. I got fed up with servicing mine, so it eventually exploded one me.

The Tensile though, required no maintenence and just worked.

If you buy a Tensile, strip it down and clean all the grease out first and just lube it with WD40, they are built with far too much grease from new and it sticks the pawls down.

I had a Monty for about a month, they're not too bad, I just didn't like it because it didn't feel as solid as the Tensile.

My mate has had two Try-Alls, neither managed to last longer than 6 weeks.

Enos are great, but they need a close eye keeping on them because apparantly the grease oozes out of the sealed bearing over time which can stick the pawls down and make it start skipping.

Personally I'd go with a Tensile every time, it cost me £35 2 years ago and I've stripped it down twice to relube it after really muddy comps, it does skip occasionally, but only when you don't let the pawls fully drop into the rachet.

I've used eno's in the past. I had 3, 1 on my stock and 2 on my mod. I had 2 on my mod, because the first one broke, it broke because I didn't checked the cap and it gradually unscrewed until it came off and so did the body of the freewheel.

I'm currently runnung a try-all freewheel which is second hand, I've been using it for a month now and had no problems.