Best Pads For Chrome Rims?

chris_m

I used Plaz Spanish Fly pads when I had a chrome rim.

I had problems with some of the very soft compound pads, such as coust pads, ripping them selves to bits.

The key to making the brake work seemed to be having an immaculately clean rim, degreased, with clean pads. As dust built up on the rim, its performance faded quickly (whatever pads). A bit of damp seemed to make it feel fantastic, but I think this was mostly as it meant there was less dust in the air. Water on the other hand was a no go. The brake worked so poorly that it felt like you sped up when you pulled it! I would brace my arms for the pressure of slowing down, as you always do subconsciously, and then because nothing happened at all, it really did feel like you sped up.

My first chrome rim worn through the chrome to copper coating underneath in 4 or 5 months of regular riding. The copper surface was no better than normal smooth rim, so I took a grinder to it. The grind the rim took was super sharp and stayed that way for a long time, much like a 521. These were the Odyessey pro factor 24" bmx rims.

Magura, U or V?

I ran various pads with Magura and Vee on a chrome rim up front on a mod, the braking was awesome. Loads of bite but because of this hardly any modulation. However any sign of wet and they won't work.

As for U brakes, CRVs work well. Along with MOE vee pads. The U brake setup can be changed to perform allot better than the standard setup.