Any Snowboarders?

tomturd

Tomm? Maher? Anyone?

Looking for some advice on buying a board, I'm totally confuzzled.

I've been 3 times before, each time using (crap) rental boards. I'm not too bad, can ride pretty confidently on the piste and I think I'm possibly at the stage where using a crap rental board might be holding me back a bit..

In 2 weeks I'm going with some guys from work, who have been a fair few times before, sounds like a fair bit of off piste and occasional jumps are on the cards. Then in January I'm off with some mates, and we'll probably be sticking to pistes (unless I can convince them to go on a bit of an adventure..).. Then I may well be going again in March. So yeah, think I want to buy a board/boots/bindings now rather than wasting money on renting again, and I'm looking for an all rounder kinda board. (Boots, maybe bindings I'll get from a shop..)

One thing that confuses me is what size to go for. Seems its generally based on height and weight... well I'm 6'1 and 10 stone - so I'm pretty out of proportion, tall and light. Initially I was thinking around 160, as thats what the rental places usually give me (based on my height), but I've read around a bit and some places recommend length based on weight, in which case its usually around 155/157.

Uhm, any advice? Some pointers (any!) would be much appreciated :)

Oh yeah, will spend 200-300 odd.

Second 'oh yeah'.. I'm size 10 feet, should I be looking at a wide board?

There was a thread like this a while ago IIRC, anywho !

I'd go for something around about 160, longer boards are obviously more stable shorter are more flicky and are predominantly are easier to learn on. The thing with snowboards is as soon as you learn to carve properly (and have all the basics leading up to it) it all comes a piece of piss. Although it's all down to personal preference, I used to ride a 157 and I was 6Ft and

I spent a fair amount of time in Morillion (good friend owns a chalet out there) and used to get a small amount of sponsorship from Filarinski's and rode literally every other day at the Alpine Center in Soton'...

I'll post a few photo's in a sec'

*I can't offer any real advice on whats good at the moment though, I haven't ridden for a year or so.

Edited by Pashley26

Im a snowboarder... Msn? Just cos its plain simpler? Else could answer questions...

160 is a bit big. Im 6 foot 6 and 12 stone im on a 159 wide thats perfect.

What kinda stuff you ride? Just general or you going towards parky stuff?

Wanting bindings and boots or hiring those too?

There was a thread like this a while ago IIRC, anywho !

I'd go for something around about 160, longer boards are obviously more stable shorter are more flicky and are predominantly are easier to learn on. The thing with snowboards is as soon as you learn to carve properly (and have all the basics leading up to it) it all comes a piece of piss. Although it's all down to personal preference, I used to ride a 157 and I was 6Ft and

I spent a fair amount of time in Morillion (good friend owns a chalet out there) and used to get a small amount of sponsorship from Filarinski's and rode literally every other day at the Alpine Center in Soton'...

I'll post a few photo's in a sec'

*I can't offer any real advice on whats good at the moment though, I haven't ridden for a year or so.

Yep I can carve properly, remaining stable/confident at speed was mostly what has held me back the past 2 times I've been. Not really looking for something to learn on.. something to improve on.

Infact I think I'm decided, http://www.snowboard-asylum.com/cgi-bin/ps...user|1,0,0,1|8|

Seems to get great reviews and is exactly what I'm looking for, I think I may have answered my own question. Only thing is, on there it says 154cm 55 – 80kg <li>157cm 60 – 80+kg

Really not sure, think I'll go for the 157 though :)

Im a snowboarder... Msn? Just cos its plain simpler? Else could answer questions...

160 is a bit big. Im 6 foot 6 and 12 stone im on a 159 wide thats perfect.

What kinda stuff you ride? Just general or you going towards parky stuff?

Wanting bindings and boots or hiring those too?

Erm, it'll be off piste for the first week, then on piste the second time I go, and off piste again the third week (if that happens). So really looking for an all rounder :) (all mountain? is it?)

I won't be doing a great amount of parky stuff, I can't jump to save my life (dont think I ever will be to either) and it doesn't interest me too much.

I'd go for the 57 on the board you posted in your second post Tom, no need for a wide board either. The width is also taken into account when the boards get longer.

Nothing will prepare you for how amazingly cool snow is, no doubt you'll crash and burn for the first few runs. But after that it'll be plain sailing !

And if you can carve properly after 3 lessons you deserve a diamond encrusted medal ! :rockon:

I'd go for the 57 on the board you posted in your second post Tom, no need for a wide board either. The width is also taken into account when the boards get longer.

Nothing will prepare you for how amazingly cool snow is, no doubt you'll crash and burn for the first few runs. But after that it'll be plain sailing !

And if you can carve properly after 3 lessons you deserve a diamond encrusted medal ! :rockon:

I think you misread :P

I've been 3 times already, never had lessons. My first day I pointed the board straight ahead, after a few hours of this I wondered why I kept going so fast and falling over (to stop myself). So I sat my severely bruised arse down and watched some other boarders for about 30 mins to see what I was doing wrong - and picked up the whole heel toe thing. I could turn okish by the second day so didn't bother with lessons - Could probably do with a few now though as I imagine my technique is horrible!

Pretty set on that board now, cheers for the help all :) (although feel free to keep discussing - was looking forward to your input Tomm!)

I think you misread :P

I've been 3 times already, never had lessons. My first day I pointed the board straight ahead, after a few hours of this I wondered why I kept going so fast and falling over (to stop myself). So I sat my severely bruised arse down and watched some other boarders for about 30 mins to see what I was doing wrong - and picked up the whole heel toe thing. I could turn okish by the second day so didn't bother with lessons - Could probably do with a few now though as I imagine my technique is horrible!

Pretty set on that board now, cheers for the help all :)

Ahhhh, even cooler beans !

To be honest, learning to turn is the hardest part about learning to ride. It starts off as being hard but then progression is easy (as apposed to Skiing which is the opposite!) Hope you have fun on your trips, you'll have to bring back some photo's of you with a snow burnt baby face !

Yeah you're right about the length being more to do with weight than height. But there aren't any real rules, and like people have said, it depends on what you'll be riding. Park = short boards (you could probably ride a 153) and powder/carving = long (up to 170). Most people ride something in between, exactly where in between depends whether you prefer jibbing or, er, "shredding" hard. If you are planning on riding off piste (particularly powder) a lot, or even just cruising pistes, you might have more fun on a slightly longer board.

At size 10, you won't want a wide board - I'm size 9.5 and I certainly don't. Wide boards are supposed to be more cumbersome and harder to ride anyway, so people tend to avoid them if at all possible. If you are on the border between normal and wide, you can get some boots are designed to be smaller so you can use a narrow board (my Salomon boots are like this). But I don't think that will apply for you anyway - It's only when you get to about size 12-13 when you would think about that, and it depends how much you learn if you do aggressive carves (And therefore catch your toes on the ground). Personally I never really carve anyway so it's never happened.

I'm sure you've read other people's advice so you've probably seen that people will recommend buying the boots that fit best at whatever cost. Then spend the rest on board/bindings. I know it seems stupid and easy to ignore but it's probably good advice. Bad boots can ruin a week for you with pain, whereas comfy boots are just amazing. I say this after having used cheap boots for several weeks before actually buying some decent ones.

As for boards, I don't really know. I've never heard of Boron boards but they might be OK. It looks good, anyway! I'm sure you can find some reviews though. I've heard pretty good things about true snowboards - they're a small rider-owned company run by some girl who did a PhD in Snowboard design (apparently the first person ever to do this!). And they're cheap (+student discount). I'm not sure on the graphics though (and I'm not too ashamed to say that's half the reason for buying a board).

Im only 5'10" and im on a 160 Burton Clash, it doesnt seam a long board, still flicky and really easy to carve with. Its a perfect introduction board with abit of a bite, it can handle most things you throw at it, this is because its pretty stiff, which i like in a longer board.

I also have a 155 Ride DH for the park, its an absolute sail on the rails, and has an awesome pop for the kickers, still kinda stiff for a park board, but since im quite heavy (12 stone) then i need a stiffer board.

If i were you dude, id go for something out of the Burton. They have an awesome range from biginers, to pro boards. they might not be the cheapest around, but they have the most experience with making snowboards than any other company.

Go for a 160 Burton Clash, they are an awesome board for piste and offpiste :)

I would have thought that your DH would be better than the clash for everything? The Clash is a very basic beginner board whereas the DH is a top-end all-mountain board really. Weird.

The clash is a nice wide, stiff directional board, good for high speeds and deep powder. Where as the DH is abit shorter and is a twin, more good for spins and jibbing, it sucks in the powder though, the clash feels alot more stable at high speeds, as the DH felt asif it just wanted to kick out on all of the turns. edges maybe need sorted, havnt serviced it yet lol (only rode it for around 4 weeks max...