Rotor Sizes For Stock Frame

Jitters

Hi all,

Gonna start building a stock bike up.

One of the considerations I'd like to make is going dual disc. I have a complete new set of Avid BB7s I got for some t-shirt work and it's supplied with 160mm rotors front and rear. From what I have found out through some searching is that I might consider a 185 front/160mm rear combo. Does this sound about right for 26" rims? If it helps, I weigh in about 205 pounds.

And on a side note, are there a particular brand or type of pads that I might consider that would be more suited for trials?

thanks for any input! :)

Hi all,

Gonna start building a stock bike up.

One of the considerations I'd like to make is going dual disc. I have a complete new set of Avid BB7s I got for some t-shirt work and it's supplied with 160mm rotors front and rear. From what I have found out through some searching is that I might consider a 185 front/160mm rear combo. Does this sound about right for 26" rims? If it helps, I weigh in about 205 pounds.

And on a side note, are there a particular brand or type of pads that I might consider that would be more suited for trials?

thanks for any input! :)

i'd go equal sizedrotors or bigger on the back, as its not a DH bike.

You could go for ebc red pads but there isn't really muxh difference.

Oh, duh, 160 on the rear probably would be a bad idea. May have gotten my numbers crossed with all the threads I was reading through in the search. Thanks for noting that! B)

So maybe shoot for the 203s front and rear? I very much like the on off switch effect I've nailed on my mod vee's. I'd like to accomplish that with the discs on the future stock build.

Discs work pretty good in rainy weather too, right?

• 3 weeks later...

i'm a dual disc stock rider, i'm rocking 203mm rotor on the rear, and 185mm rotor on the front, using avid bb7s and sd7 levers. silly powerfull, works in all weather(SP?) although i'm mad paranoid about my brake slipping out it rarely does. the power is stupid. just take time to bed them in. bomb down hills and drag your brake so it's silly hot then pour water on it (Y)

I wouldn't use Juicy's or BB7's for that matter. On a stock, no substitute for a rear vee or Hope. ( Possibly a maggie, but I've never had luck with mine)

Also, Gary, how'd you manage to get vee's to work on your mod? I tried the other day, and couldn't get mine to work ( broke maggie) so what's your setup?