Guitar Multi Fx Pedal Help

JoeM

Hi all, I am looking at Guitar Fx Pedals at the moment, and I am confused about which one I want. I have seen the Line 6 Pods, but I am open to other brands/models that are nice to use. I don't really want to spend more than £100.

Thanks, Joe

The pods aren't specifically FX Pedals as full onboard systems. You can, though, upload loads of different sounds and effects onto then, technically giving you unlimited capabilities.

Look at some of the Bose pedals. £70 ones, some of them are great fun, and have some pretty cool sounds to go with them. :)

I really wouldn't advise multi fx pedals, singular pedals are always preferable but i guess your budget would only allow for 2 or 3 simple pedals.....but that could be enough? What effects are you after?

Loads of people get multi-fx and wander through endless phaser and modulation effects that aren't being used very well. I mean i guess your main want is for a distortion...but what do you want after that? Delay? Reverb? Has your amp got built in reverb? If so that may suffice. For £100 you could get a big muff and a second hand delay pedal and what more do you want after that? If you're not after a load of effects don't get loads.

HOwever, if you do really want a whole bunch look at a second hand Boss GT-6...the daddy of multi-effects. I had one for a few years, not my bag but it sure has a lot of features and sounds.

I would sort of echo what Mathew62 said - Multi FX pedals can be a bit toss. I had one (Korg AX1000G) and whilst the effects were cool to play around with, the quality of the distortion/ amp modelling was rubbish. It depends what you want it for, whether you're going to play live with it etc. I'd get a Pod because the amp modelling on those seems really good, so you can have endless different sounds, plus a few effects too :)

I really wouldn't advise multi fx pedals, singular pedals are always preferable but i guess your budget would only allow for 2 or 3 simple pedals.....but that could be enough? What effects are you after?

Loads of people get multi-fx and wander through endless phaser and modulation effects that aren't being used very well. I mean i guess your main want is for a distortion...but what do you want after that? Delay? Reverb? Has your amp got built in reverb? If so that may suffice. For £100 you could get a big muff and a second hand delay pedal and what more do you want after that? If you're not after a load of effects don't get loads.

HOwever, if you do really want a whole bunch look at a second hand Boss GT-6...the daddy of multi-effects. I had one for a few years, not my bag but it sure has a lot of features and sounds.

I've already looked at some single stomp boxes. But i thought that for my budget, a multi-fx would be better for me. I am mainly wanting distortion, delay/reverb, compression, although i may need more in the near future. But at the moment, I am playing a whole lot of different genres, which means that I can't really afford to be buying different pedals for different things. So i reckon i'm going to give a multi-fx a go.

I have looked around, and at the moment I have a short list of the Pod 2.0, Boss GT-6 or the Boss ME-20. Any recommendations on which one to go for?

Edited by JoeM

Different genres don't necesserily require different pedals, as all pedals are adjustable. I mean of course it is your decision, but i'd strongly recommend avoding multi-fx.

I was in the same mindset as you when i started and got a gt-6 and in a year or so i soon regretted it and built up over time a decent collection of pedals to suit my needs . (You can see my board in the last page or to of the guitarist thread). I didn't buy all my pedals in one go but got them one at a time.

You say you need a distortion mainly....well you can get a BOss Ds-2 second hand for under £30 and thats extremely adaptable (2 pedals in one in fact).

You need some delay/reverb...that can be made out of one pedal depending on your settings so look at a second hand boss delay or something similar. I really think over time most people regret multi=fx, sure you get a lot of bang for your buck in terms of different sounds, but how many are you likely to use and more importantly how good do they sound?

My expensive gt-6's distortion wasn't a patch on my £30 stand alone pedal. You can always add to your collection so perhaps only start with one or two really necessery ones. When playing different genres you are the one that changes, not your pedals, its in your playing dynamics.

I've played blues, electronica, experimental, synth based, acoustic, vocal only, funk, rock, plain weird and many more styles with my pedal board and the more i played the more i r4ealised how many of my pedals i didn't really need. If you're experimental with pedals you can make a whole array of sounds out of very little.

Of course this is only my opinion and you do whats you want.

Different genres don't necesserily require different pedals, as all pedals are adjustable. I mean of course it is your decision, but i'd strongly recommend avoding multi-fx.

I was in the same mindset as you when i started and got a gt-6 and in a year or so i soon regretted it and built up over time a decent collection of pedals to suit my needs . (You can see my board in the last page or to of the guitarist thread). I didn't buy all my pedals in one go but got them one at a time.

You say you need a distortion mainly....well you can get a BOss Ds-2 second hand for under £30 and thats extremely adaptable (2 pedals in one in fact).

You need some delay/reverb...that can be made out of one pedal depending on your settings so look at a second hand boss delay or something similar. I really think over time most people regret multi=fx, sure you get a lot of bang for your buck in terms of different sounds, but how many are you likely to use and more importantly how good do they sound?

My expensive gt-6's distortion wasn't a patch on my £30 stand alone pedal. You can always add to your collection so perhaps only start with one or two really necessery ones. When playing different genres you are the one that changes, not your pedals, its in your playing dynamics.

I've played blues, electronica, experimental, synth based, acoustic, vocal only, funk, rock, plain weird and many more styles with my pedal board and the more i played the more i r4ealised how many of my pedals i didn't really need. If you're experimental with pedals you can make a whole array of sounds out of very little.

Of course this is only my opinion and you do whats you want.

Cheers man, I'm going to take another look at the Boss single pedals. I know i saw some in town the other day, i'll go have a play with them :)