Where Could I Find A Sheet Of Aluminum?

Jason222

I'm looking for a sheet of aluminum so I can try to make myself a couple of V boosters. Does anyone have any ideas?

Google for local non ferrous metal stockists, they should be able to cut you a length from a plate.

If youre looking to make your own booster then I would consider carbon, you can get a plate of 4mm thick thats big enough to make a v booster for about 15-17 quid, its stiffer than aluminium and can be considerably lighter :)

Google for local non ferrous metal stockists, they should be able to cut you a length from a plate.

If youre looking to make your own booster then I would consider carbon, you can get a plate of 4mm thick thats big enough to make a v booster for about 15-17 quid, its stiffer than aluminium and can be considerably lighter :)

Is it hacksaw proof?

Is it hacksaw proof?

You can cut carbon with a very, very fine tooth sharp hacksaw blade but it will be hard work as it has a nasty habit of blunting blades very quickly, also you wont be able to really cut rounded edges easily. Using a dremel cutting disk is much easier and does a far better job - watch out for the dust though as its fuggin horrible stuff.

Aluminium would be your easier option if you only have a hacksaw ;)

For the same stiffness though it would be much much heavier.

Have you tried Metal Supermarket they have lots of different grades of aluminum to choose from. I have used them to get some steel and they seem good and just seen they have some stores in Canada so postage would be cheaper than importing or collecion if you live close to a store.

Link:http://www.metalsupermarkets.co.uk/

I didn't think you could cut carbon because it starts to fray and come apart.

If you use too coarse a blade then it will splinter on the edges, I cut a test piece using a file saw and it worked ok but did splinter alittle, you can file the splinters down to smooth. If you use a cutting disk then you dont need to bind the edges as it cuts cleanly :)

By the way, do not breath in the dust it is supposedly the new asbestos.

It is fecking horrible, I was coughing for days :D

I wouldnt worry about a tiny bit of inhalation, but dont do it for prolonged periods because it is carcinogenic, but then so is smoking ;)

Edited by forteh

you think a 4mm thick piece of carbon is going to be stiffer then 7mm aluminium....

wrong you'd need like a 10mm thick sheet of carbon to get it as stiff looking at the shape of a vee booster, maybe less.. and also if you just cut a sheet, you'll fck up the carbon anyways, as its laminated layers in simple... so youll loosen them. like delaminate it. youll need to make a mould then layer the carbon into that, then compress it.

so go buy carbon ribre weaved mat, i used to use 2x2 but what ever. get some half decent resin.... make you booster out of wood or something... vacuum form it.. or cover it in something to make a mould.. plaster? w/e then cut the carbon to the right shape then add resin, add carbon ad reson add carbon.. etc till its full... then compress it with something... pile weights on it or something...

if you dont compress it it will be weak as fck

or just get you aluminium and cut a pretty shape haha

ebays your best bet

If you use too coarse a blade then it will splinter on the edges, I cut a test piece using a file saw and it worked ok but did splinter alittle, you can file the splinters down to smooth. If you use a cutting disk then you dont need to bind the edges as it cuts cleanly :)

It is fecking horrible, I was coughing for days :D

I wouldnt worry about a tiny bit of inhalation, but dont do it for prolonged periods because it is carcinogenic, but then so is smoking ;)

haha i made a mountain board and kinda messed it up and all the edges were horrid, so i used a belt sander to sand them all down... iv never been so itchy in my LIFE! for like a week!, covvered in those red dots haha but i wore a mask so ddnt break any in luckily haha

Edited by adrian@eastcoasttrials