135 Mm Horizontal Dropout Users

Jason222

So, I'm getting one of the new ZHI Z3 frames with 135 mm horizontal dropouts. I'm going to need a new rear hub, as I doubt my quick release king will do the job. I'm going to use snail cams, but it appears that most 135 hubs don't have extra room on the axle for snail cams. I noticed the try-all rear hub is designed for this application, but it costs too much. What hubs do you use/recommend?

Can you not put the snail cams on the outisde?

LOL I never thought of that! Would that not hinder the clamping ability though? And don't they fit snugly on the axle?

Edited by Jason222

So, I'm getting one of the new ZHI Z3 frames with 135 mm horizontal dropouts. I'm going to need a new rear hub, as I doubt my quick release king will do the job. I'm going to use snail cams, but it appears that most 135 hubs don't have extra room on the axle for snail cams. I noticed the try-all rear hub is designed for this application, but it costs too much. What hubs do you use/recommend?

Keep the king, just get a set of bolt through skewers if you think the QR isnt going to hold it :)

IMHO the QR will hold it fine in conjunction with snailcams and there is no real substitute for a king.

If youre still not convinced with the bolt through skewer then get an HD axle and funbolts :D

Keep the king, just get a set of bolt through skewers if you think the QR isnt going to hold it :)

IMHO the QR will hold it fine in conjunction with snailcams and there is no real substitute for a king.

If youre still not convinced with the bolt through skewer then get an HD axle and funbolts :D

chris-king-iso-rear.jpg

It doesn't look like there would be enough room on the ends for a snail cam...and running them on the outside doesn't make sense because it's then not holding the axle, it's holding the bolt or QR.

I'm also gonna suggest you get a HD axle and funbolts, and see how it looks when you've got the hub and cams in your hand. It doesn't matter if they're on the outside or inside, once you've got it tightened up hard, it won't be going anywhere, I'm speaking from experience with a CK BMX hub which has been on 3 bikes, which have had cams on the outside, and inside.

At the end of the day, worst case scenario is your wheel moves forwards slightly in the dropouts (which I still think wouldnt happen, because the cams are notched, and the bolt would have to loosen quite a lot to allow the cam to move), then it only takes 2 seconds to put it back into place and tighten up the bolt. Also, you could put the cams on so they tighten clockwise, so as you tighten the bolt, they will tighten up nice and snug too.

If they don't fit on the axle because it's too big, then it's gonna be 2 minutes work with a drill to sort it out.

Edited by JonMack

I'm also gonna suggest you get a HD axle and funbolts, and see how it looks when you've got the hub and cams in your hand. It doesn't matter if they're on the outside or inside, once you've got it tightened up hard, it won't be going anywhere, I'm speaking from experience with a CK BMX hub which has been on 3 bikes, which have had cams on the outside, and inside.

At the end of the day, worst case scenario is your wheel moves forwards slightly in the dropouts (which I still think wouldnt happen, because the cams are notched, and the bolt would have to loosen quite a lot to allow the cam to move), then it only takes 2 seconds to put it back into place and tighten up the bolt. Also, you could put the cams on so they tighten clockwise, so as you tighten the bolt, they will tighten up nice and snug too.

If they don't fit on the axle because it's too big, then it's gonna be 2 minutes work with a drill to sort it out.

I had a chris king bmx hub. It worked great with snail cams...I'd like to buy a heavy duty kit, but I'm kinda iffy on it. It does cost quite a bit...although, it's not much more than getting a new hub.

I had a chris king bmx hub. It worked great with snail cams...I'd like to buy a heavy duty kit, but I'm kinda iffy on it. It does cost quite a bit...although, it's not much more than getting a new hub.

If you cant justify the expenditure yet then look for some bolt through skewers, Im using some ti ones that I got sent over from the states and theyre superlight (25g for the rear one) but being ti they possibly dont hold quite as tightly as steel could - still more than enough for me.

You could even knock up a test by simply buying an M5 x 150 socket head cap screw in steel and using a couple of skewer end caps/washers to try it :)