Wtb Tyres

sobek

Ok so the time has come to replace my rear back tyre, as it has literally ripped to pieces (some generic brand).

i was considering getting some maxxis (26") but my friend told me that WTB tyres are a bit cheaper but im not sure if they will be better than maxxis.

can anyone give me some ideas of which tyres i should go for?

thanks

Ok so the time has come to replace my rear back tyre, as it has literally ripped to pieces (some generic brand).

i was considering getting some maxxis (26") but my friend told me that WTB tyres are a bit cheaper but im not sure if they will be better than maxxis.

can anyone give me some ideas of which tyres i should go for?

thanks

for the rear youve got 3 real choices:

Maxxis: fairly pricey, very grippy, very puncture resistant, very heavy ; High Roller, Minion, heavy

Schwalbe: not all that grippy, fairly bad puncture resistance, very light; Big betty...

continental: very pricey ( £40 a tyre ), on a par with maxxis for grip, moderate puncture resistance, nearly as light as the schwalbe ; Rain king, runner Queen, Der Kaiser,

Michelin: Not commonly used in the trials world, fairly grippy, good puncture resistance, no idea on price though, moderately heavy..although not the same heft as maxxis i don't think

WTB tyres aren't really worth bothering with in my experience...fine for light xc extra, but cant really hack trials...probably be usable for a front tyre, but i would have thought that's about it

continental: very pricey ( £40 a tyre ), on a par with maxxis for grip, moderate puncture resistance, nearly as light as the schwalbe ; Rain king, runner Queen, Der Kaiser,

The rubber queens are not quite as grippy as a maxxis, but the rain king and de kaiser are much gripper!

The rubber queens are not quite as grippy as a maxxis, but the rain king and de kaiser are much gripper!

really? thought everyone was always banging on about " held by awesome rubber queen grip"...i need a new tyre actually, but i think i'll kill a rubber queen, the der kaiser / rain king much better for punctures?

The rubber queen and the Der kaiser/Rain kings are totally different tyres. Rubber queens are light, use a less grippy black chili compound and have not so great puncture resistance. der kaisers/rain kings have amazing puncture resistance (better than maxxis) and amazing grip (better than maxxis).

Michelin tyres weigh a ton, about 1350g for a Comp 16/24. These were awesome back in the day. pretty grippy and amazing puncture resistance.

Thanks guys. Thinking about it, I only really need a rear tyre. The rear has holes and is starting to rip, where as the front is ok for now.

The maxxis here in china isnt too expensive (although they are actually cheaper in england now the pound is weak). My friend sells them at 280 yuan each where as the WTB would be around 100 RMB. so i guess you get what you pay for.