Stripped Pedal Threads

Headley

Hi, recently I have had 2 pedal threads strip from 2 different pairs of cranks; the first was echo forged and the second echo CNC. Both times the threads have stripped from just pedaling along normally. What could this be down to? the pedal threads themsleves? I'm not too shure myself.

Edited by Headley

In answer to a couple of questions, the pedals don't come loose before they strip and I tightened them up nice a tight on both sets of cranks along with some locktight on the second pair of cranks.

Edit: I havn't been using a pedal spanner just a 6mm alan key and long bar on the end.

Edited by Headley

it can only be one of four things really. my guess its one of the last 2

you got really unlucky and got 2 pairs of duff cranks that had manufacturing defaults

the pedal threads are dodgy

you cross threaded them when screwing the pedals in.

the pedals worked loose and youve not relised. most likely one.

i think it will be most likely to be the last one, pedals can have a bad habbit of working loose and if you dont check them especially when new then you run the risk of them coming loose when riding sometime and not reliseing.

its almost always that there run loose greese them and get a pedal spanner not just a 15mm spanner

Pedal spanners are shite though? They bend and flex all over the show.

Sounds like you might have over tightened them if you had to use a bar aswell.

I would second the thoughts that the pedals were run loose - this is the only way I have ever seen a pedal thread strip out.

Step 1: Use plenty of good quality grease

Step 2: Use a pedal washer

Step 3: Make sure you keep checking the pedals are tight, especially when your cranks are new

Thanks for the replies everyone; from what people have put and down to only using an alan key to tighten the pedals >_< it's most likely down to not fully tightening. I'll be going down to the lbs to get myself a pedal spanner tomorrow. Cheers again.

Edited by Headley

Yeah, as Nick said, it's worth the proper tools so you can get the proper torque.

The recommended setting is 35Nm... which works out to 3.5 bags of sugar hanging off a bar which is 1 metre long (kinda hard to imagine how much torque this is though...).

If you are only using a 5cm long allen key from a multi-tool then you need 70kg of weight hanging off it (ie. probably all your body weight) to create enough torque... which would snap the tool.

Yeah, as Nick said, it's worth the proper tools so you can get the proper torque.

The recommended setting is 35Nm... which works out to 3.5 bags of sugar hanging off a bar which is 1 metre long (kinda hard to imagine how much torque this is though...).

If you are only using a 5cm long allen key from a multi-tool then you need 70kg of weight hanging off it (ie. probably all your body weight) to create enough torque... which would snap the tool.

Never reallt thought about it like that. It really makes sense now! :D