Rim Grind With V Brakes

siyross

Hello

I have just watched a video about grinding rims.

Does this help when using V brakes?

I have bought a brake booster, Can you recommend anything else to help my v brakes work better?

Eventually I will upgrade to a disc or hydraulic rim brake this, however is when i have the money.

Cheers

Edited by siyross

If you're using suitable pads then yes it will make the brake more powerful.

Be aware though, if using it on the front you probably wont have very much modulation unless you have a very very light grind (almost non-existant :D ). What brake is it and what pads are you using now?

There is nothing wrong with vee brakes, on the front Im using SD7 arms and lever with cnc coustsink pads, a very light grind (as above) and its more than powerful enough - locks and holds fine but retains some modulation (although not as much as a disk). Its half the weight of a 203mm mono trial disk :)

The arms look as good as the sd7s so no worries there with sloppy bearings and linkages, would recommend that you change the pads to heatsink cnc vees or similar from here. As said Im using the cnc coust pads from heatsink and theyre very, very good; work the same wet or dry with the light grind. Expensive but they will last for years :)

The advantage of getting cnc backings is they offer more support for the brake material and you can get refill cartridges from different manufacturers to try different compounds. With your current brake pads, using a grind would be likely to make the brake work better but is also likely to shred the material pretty quickly as theyre designed for smooth rims.

Richtey arms are okay. Shimano LX/Xt are a way better than Avids SD7/5. The best choice would be Avid Ultimate, but they cost a lot.

I use Heatsink Coust pads for V. They work very well under every conditions. Wearing rate is 0. So once you spend the money and use them 4+ years...