Tires

Ok so I'm looking to buy new tires within the month, and i want to go fairly large, maybe not DH tires but I'm just wonder what people consider to be the ideal size and what tires do you all suggest.

Do you ride mod (20") or stock (26") ?

i personally run:

dual ply 2.35 maxxis minion dh on the back, with a standard mtb tube.

single ply 2.35 maxxis high roller dh on the front, spesh ultra-light tube

Both in super tacky compound (Y)

what pressure do you run at cause those seem pretty knobby, i would think low pressure but then i would worry about bending my rim on long drops

I personally wouldn't ever run smaller than a 2.5 on the rear as long as the rim is wide enough to handle it. the extra grip, bounce and stability easily out weighs the extra weight.

People usually run between 17-25psi in the rear. If you are bending rims, you need to sort your technique out or get better wheel builds. If you are still running narrow xc style rims, then you may need to have a harder pressure to stop the tyre from folding on slopes.

I personally wouldn't ever run smaller than a 2.5 on the rear as long as the rim is wide enough to handle it. the extra grip, bounce and stability easily out weighs the extra weight.

People usually run between 17-25psi in the rear. If you are bending rims, you need to sort your technique out or get better wheel builds. If you are still running narrow xc style rims, then you may need to have a harder pressure to stop the tyre from folding on slopes.

Well that's the thing is i don't just ride trials, i also do a lot of Dirt Jumping, that's just because of my location, unfortunately i don't get to ride trials often because i live about 7 miles out of the major city i live near. Portland Oregon. Awesome city for riding but hard to get to from where im at. haha probably a little more difficult to get to from where you're at, anyway getting off topic, i normally run about 25-30 PSI, and i don't know what you would think of my rims but i run a Alex rims DH19 in the rear and a Syncros big box in the front. something i do have that i think is probably looked down upon by most trials riders is i have a Marzocchi Dj 2 fork. I cannot imagine doing some of the drops i do with no front suspension. i think i know what you're going to say to that too, and that is i should focus my weight on the rear tire right? that is something i have been doing more but just doesn't work for me because coming from a background of dirt jumping , you are supposed to land however flows the best.

Ok so today i decided to try something new, and dropped my tire pressure to about 19-20 pounds, and before the day was over I had a rear blowout. because the rim bottomed out on the tube and ruptured it. is this my fault???

Ok so today i decided to try something new, and dropped my tire pressure to about 19-20 pounds, and before the day was over I had a rear blowout. because the rim bottomed out on the tube and ruptured it. is this my fault???

Depends on how you blew it out...a dual ply tyre will sort 90% of pinch flats.

on tyre size, for allround performance I use 2.35 dual ply maxxis minion (front) on the rear. and 2.0 try-all up front. Echo rear rim, and mavic d521 up front.

most of the time I run bout 20/30psi depending on how trialsy (bouncey) i feel. I don't like the feel of the side wall colapsing when doing spinny moves or landing slightly sideways.

i'll be honest, on the hole weight (suspention) thing i found trials more fun with sus forks (street stuff anyway.)

I don't think that you need an overly light bike to ride trials........style it's what you make of it really.

performance over wieght any day!!!!

Depends on how you blew it out...a dual ply tyre will sort 90% of pinch flats.

on tyre size, for allround performance I use 2.35 dual ply maxxis minion (front) on the rear. and 2.0 try-all up front. Echo rear rim, and mavic d521 up front.

most of the time I run bout 20/30psi depending on how trialsy (bouncey) i feel. I don't like the feel of the side wall colapsing when doing spinny moves or landing slightly sideways.

i'll be honest, on the hole weight (suspention) thing i found trials more fun with sus forks (street stuff anyway.)

I don't think that you need an overly light bike to ride trials........style it's what you make of it really.

performance over wieght any day!!!!

Thank you i was hoping someone would say something like that, as long as you run good air pressure in your fork it is just as good and my fork is really light actually, i don't know what the average trials bike weight is but i am sure it is much lighter than mine but im at about 28 pounds as of right now, You are actually telling me exactly what i want to hear because i cranked up to 30 Psi in the rear and 25 in the front today and ran great, what happened yesterday was i was jumping from one person's driveway to another's and i cased and the rim pinched the tube, i am currently running a Kenda Karma in the rear and i am honestly not sure what size i have not looked. when i was changing tubes today i pulled the old tire off and looked at my rim and there was a nice little divit right where i had cased. about a centimeter long and probably 5 millimeters deep. luckily it was easy enough to stick the rim in the vice and yank it out with some channel locks. Rode great. did my biggest jump ever. probably a 25 foot long table top in the burbs. im working on being able to 180. any tips?

pretty thin too be honest

Thank you i was hoping someone would say something like that, as long as you run good air pressure in your fork it is just as good and my fork is really light actually, i don't know what the average trials bike weight is but i am sure it is much lighter than mine but im at about 28 pounds as of right now, You are actually telling me exactly what i want to hear because i cranked up to 30 Psi in the rear and 25 in the front today and ran great, what happened yesterday was i was jumping from one person's driveway to another's and i cased and the rim pinched the tube, i am currently running a Kenda Karma in the rear and i am honestly not sure what size i have not looked. when i was changing tubes today i pulled the old tire off and looked at my rim and there was a nice little divit right where i had cased. about a centimeter long and probably 5 millimeters deep. luckily it was easy enough to stick the rim in the vice and yank it out with some channel locks. Rode great. did my biggest jump ever. probably a 25 foot long table top in the burbs. im working on being able to 180. any tips?

pretty thin too be honest

get some maxxis dual ply tyres, double side wall basicly. theres loads of different treds you can get, you'll almost never pinch again at 25psi+.

180 are wierd for me....started learning180s ona hill. roll up the hill at a good speed (jogging) as you slow down, hop high and spin at the same time.

i'm right footed and bunny hop 180 to the left. so i turn to the left using my inner left leg and left foot to spin the bike. try and just spin 90, land it a couple of times get the feel, then go for the 180.

i found it easier at first to lift both wheels at same time but if you can bunny hop say 20inch ok then you should be able to spin the first 90 on the back wheel, keep the momentum then hop the rest.

but static 180's i'll spin to the right cos your using the drive train to crank the 180 so mst of my weight will be on the right peddle, so i'll spin right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dYRbCR9BqA...F3&index=22

Edited by Aaron.gloster

Well that's the thing is i don't just ride trials, i also do a lot of Dirt Jumping, that's just because of my location, unfortunately i don't get to ride trials often because i live about 7 miles out of the major city i live near. Portland Oregon. Awesome city for riding but hard to get to from where im at. haha probably a little more difficult to get to from where you're at, anyway getting off topic, i normally run about 25-30 PSI, and i don't know what you would think of my rims but i run a Alex rims DH19 in the rear and a Syncros big box in the front. something i do have that i think is probably looked down upon by most trials riders is i have a Marzocchi Dj 2 fork. I cannot imagine doing some of the drops i do with no front suspension. i think i know what you're going to say to that too, and that is i should focus my weight on the rear tire right? that is something i have been doing more but just doesn't work for me because coming from a background of dirt jumping , you are supposed to land however flows the best.

Get a 24"? Presuming your riding both styles on the same bike...

Get a 24"? Presuming your riding both styles on the same bike...

Haven't got the money, besides 24" bikes feel weird to me, i like the feel of 26" but thanks

get some maxxis dual ply tyres, double side wall basicly. theres loads of different treds you can get, you'll almost never pinch again at 25psi+.

180 are wierd for me....started learning180s ona hill. roll up the hill at a good speed (jogging) as you slow down, hop high and spin at the same time.

i'm right footed and bunny hop 180 to the left. so i turn to the left using my inner left leg and left foot to spin the bike. try and just spin 90, land it a couple of times get the feel, then go for the 180.

i found it easier at first to lift both wheels at same time but if you can bunny hop say 20inch ok then you should be able to spin the first 90 on the back wheel, keep the momentum then hop the rest.

but static 180's i'll spin to the right cos your using the drive train to crank the 180 so mst of my weight will be on the right peddle, so i'll spin right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dYRbCR9BqA...F3&index=22

Yeah i got 90 down easy, i really need more height but i just cannot get enough rotation

Haven't got the money, besides 24" bikes feel weird to me, i like the feel of 26" but thanks

Yeah i got 90 down easy, i really need more height but i just cannot get enough rotation

Try turning more into the hop. the turn is were the momentum come from.....as you compress and then repress for the hop turn and try and through your hips were the front wheel was while bending you knees and arms!!!

or try rock walk stylee....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szSlQ-AVl40...re=channel_page

heres the main page. check some of the vids loads of stuff you could be trying, think it's pages 5 to 7 are all the tutorial type stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=sergit...os&start=80

Try turning more into the hop. the turn is were the momentum come from.....as you compress and then repress for the hop turn and try and through your hips were the front wheel was while bending you knees and arms!!!

or try rock walk stylee....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szSlQ-AVl40...re=channel_page

heres the main page. check some of the vids loads of stuff you could be trying, think it's pages 5 to 7 are all the tutorial type stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=sergit...os&start=80

Haha actually i have no front brake, caliper got ripped off on a bad crash a long time ago, and after i spent all my money on a new fork i never bothered to replace the brake, but i think i can probably do that, in fact i'll try it on my friends Kona

Answer to your problem: Get a thicker rim and a 2.5 tire for the rear.. you can also get a 2 ply 2.5 rear tire. garente no flats.

If you don't do this, flats will be happening a lot.

And get a front brake

Oh and that's all super cheap... i said i was buying new tires not rebuilding my bike

Haha actually i have no front brake, caliper got ripped off on a bad crash a long time ago, and after i spent all my money on a new fork i never bothered to replace the brake, but i think i can probably do that, in fact i'll try it on my friends Kona

you don't need a front brake!!! just press the front wheel against a curb or use a footjam to endo?!!!?!?!

you don't need a front brake!!! just press the front wheel against a curb or use a footjam to endo?!!!?!?!

believe it or not that's what i've ben working on the last couple days, because some kid on a BMX bike said your can't footjam on a MTB, i made a fool outta him, but haven't quite gotten it down to an art yet