New To Trial Biking

Mini0n

Hey guys, i'm knew to trial biking. I'm now saving up to get a trial bike, however, i have no idea where or how to start from. I already have a mountain bike, i was wondering if its advisible to convert my mountain bike to a trial bike, or should i just get a new trial bike ? If i gonna get a new trial bike, what should the frame size be like ? 24" or 26" ?

I would like something like this,

img0042zy1.jpg

( Pic of Streetoff's bike, just wanted to use it as a reference )

Sorry for the tons of qn guys, really need some help there. Hope you guys can help me :P

Edited by Mini0n

a purpose built trials bike will make it easier but you could just start learning the basics on an adapted mountain bike - all depends how much money you have to spend.

id suggest starting on your existing bike and see if you get into it.

Mountainbikes adapted for trials ride not particularly great.

Best off saving up and buying something like an Onza Cleaner or Hitman, or a Phase bike, to start off on. If you ring supercycles, you could also get hold of a T-rex.

I think, because you're coming from a MTB background, you want a 26" bike.

Mountainbikes adapted for trials ride not particularly great.

Best off saving up and buying something like an Onza Cleaner or Hitman, or a Phase bike, to start off on. If you ring supercycles, you could also get hold of a T-rex.

I think, because you're coming from a MTB background, you want a 26" bike.

I think so too!! However i think that i prefer those that have a seat instead of those of Onza. Idk as i'm totally clueless on trial bikes. ):

@Dan81: I tried to do something with my MTB, but it felt like its so heavy that i can't lift it up. Idk if its the technique or its just me ?

Edited by Mini0n

How old are you?

What mountain bike do you currently own?

How much do you have to spend (Or how much could you save up?)

whats your weight and height?

All i can say is if your a big lad you need to get something with decent parts are you just start going through them like you go through socks. Or if your a smallish guy dont get a stupidly long 26 inch.....if you think you would like get into bmx spinny tricks go for a 24. Look at what your mates have and see if you'd like something similer.

(Y)

I'm 16 currently, turning 17 this year.

I have a KHS Alite 300 mountain bike now -> http://www.khsbicycles.com/04_alite_300_07.htm

My height is around 163-165 ( not very sure ) weight is around 44kg.

I only have a friend whos into trial riding and he stays very far from me, his type of bike is those that sort of resembles the echo's bike. The long type of frame with no seat and small thick wheels, but i don't want that.

I want something similar to the first pic i posted, those with a seat.

Given my height and weight, should i be riding a 24" or a 26" ? :unsure:

All depends on the style you want.

If you ride 24'' you can incorporate a bit of bmx, similar to Danny Mac (

)

If you ride 26'' you'll have a more standard trials style like Tunni (

)

Obviously you won't be as gd as the both of them straight away, but in the long run thats what you could achieve.

Ben

Look at second hand bikes on E-bay.

I prefer a bike with a seat as well.

I have an Onza spyro but it isn't a standard one, basically only the frame is from the original bike.

I like it, not too long not too short, good standover and cheap for busting while you are learning.

Matt

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/mad-phase-1...ke-id41334.html

I would recamend you get a Phase.

JE James have them on offer aswell.

They are the Exact same bikes as the team Use, and ride very well.

Depending on your budget, http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/index.html?action=search, you could get one of the 3 bikes.

Frames are the same on all 3, just component quality differs.

Sorry to side-track. Do I see 2 boosters on the rear brake?

Well, I would recommend a 24''. I rode street (mtb) with 26'', and then swapped to 24''. It was great. It's easier to control and learn with slightly smaller wheels. When I got into trials, I started off with a mod (20''). Each has different views, so it'll depend on you in the end. 26'' trials bike still feels weird for me. :S

Danny Macaskill uses a 24" with 26" wheels?

I suddenly thought of something. What if i start to upgrade my MTB parts by parts since its abit difficult to save up a huge sum to buy a whole new bike at one go. For example i change my brakes and my tyres and gears to single gears, and train using those, after that when my frame starts to crack and eventually spoil, then i change it to a 24" frame. Do you guys think its a good idea ? Is it possible to ride a 24" with 26" wheels?

Really it would be better to get a cheap second hand bike than to upgrade a regular mtb. I practised on a 19" XC bike and was really close to quitting becuase it was so hard to learn the moves. You will progress so much faster if you use a trials bike, even a cheapish secondhand one.

Oh yea, you couldn't use 26" wheels on a 24" frame because of where brake mounts are and different chainstay lenghts on the frame.

danny Mac uses a 24" Inspired Fourplay with 24" wheels

Edited by bikeperson45

But i do not have the cash to buy a whole new bike now, so i was thinking i could at least change my MTB to single gears and stuffs, at least i can start practicing.

Weird, why did his website state that he uses 26" maxxis tyres ?

So i start with brakes, then gears then tyres ? But what if my tyre is 26" right now ? Do i change it to 24" or wait till i have enough cash to get a 24" frame then get the 24" wheels together?

If your tyres still have a reasonable amount of tread there isn't much point replacing.

Also, you might not want to change gears, so that when you get a trials bike you'd still have a bike for general riding

Well you might hit the deraileur a couple times, but I've been riding a geared trials bike for a year and it's been okay.

What I'm saying is, if you think your going to buy a trials specific bike, it might be worth keeping the gears so you have another bike for general riding as well as trials