Anyone Use Makita Combi Drills?

Ladd

For some reason that link takes me to my facebook homepage...

Anywho, i have a 2 year old pair of makita 18v cordless drills

9bd6772671c68cfb77d0940b34236d81.jpg

The little one has been faultless, but lacks hammer function. The MXT is super powerful, and has a great hammer action, however they suffer from weak gearboxes (mines on its second, some came with plastic gears, others came with metal gears) and mine gets rather hot in not much time! They both have been thoroughly abused and still work fine, the batteries have had many a charge (i also have an 18v cordless circular saw that borrows the batteries) and still hold a decent charge!

However i am rather disapointed with makita stuff in general, the mentioned gearbox failure, motor failure on my circular saw, seized shaft on the selection box on my corded sds drill and a heap of problems occured inside my 4.5 grinder gearbox!

Makita happily fixed everything (except the sds drill as it was over its warranty period) and the turnaround was fast. I would be more inclined to go with Bosch now, they seem to be back up to standard after a short period of making some rather poor power tools.

I gave a Makita cordless drill as a present once and I got it back the very next Christmas, minus the power pack...

On a not particularly useful note my pro timber framed building maker uncle uses a combination of makita and tescos £8 jobbies, the idea being he can break several tescos ones for the price of a makita, just saves that for tasks requiring a good drill.

I have found anyhting cheap to be EXTREMELY gutless and hold absolutely no charge...definately invest if you are gonna be doing site work

Yeah my combi drill gave up today it was pretty powerful, and have a kitchen to fit so think im going to pop in the builders merchants tomorro and pick one up (Y)Try this link!

Cant really fault the makita stuff ive used, but then I can say exactly the save about DeWalt, the higher end bosch stuff and Hilti. personally I prefer the Hilti stuff, but I think thats just me being a brand whore. (that and a nasty incident using a makita core drill that almost broke my wrist twice on the same hole, and the fact the Hilti one aint snatched once, lends them to being my favourite)

Yeah my combi drill gave up today it was pretty powerful, and have a kitchen to fit so think im going to pop in the builders merchants tomorro and pick one up (Y)Try this link!

Played with one of them, seems well built and the led will no doubt be a godsend when doing inside kitchen units! Supposed to be decent batteries too.