Front Brakes

Bol Maaaaaaing

Hey,

I am going to get rid of my Hayes Stroker Ryde hydrolic front brake on my CZAR because its leaking oil all over the rotar.

I am looking at a few other brakes on Trademe (NZ version of E-Bay) and these are the ones I found.

Mechanical:

Shimano BR-M465

Avid BB5 or BB7, It doesnt say which

Hayes MX1

Hydraulic:

Hayes Nine

I dont know what would be good for a front brake. So far I have had two Juicy 3's and the Stroker Ryde that have all leaked.

I have a BB5 on the back and it works really well and I am very pleased with it.

I was just wondering what you guys would recomend out of the ones I have listed.

Thanks for any help.

Joe

Hi, i have the shimano mechanicals on my jump bike at the moment and they are good enough, i used to have a front BB7 on a previous bike and that was the best brake i have ever used, it was sharp and it would lock and hold like no other! like you have said you have had sevral problems with hydros but the bb5 is good, go with the BB7 you wont regret it :P

Shimano cable discs are beyond terrible. Spongy, weak, badly made, look shit and generally don't work. I don't get the hype behind BB5's, i was setting them up at work today and they seem pretty terrible. I ride with a mono trial up front and would never change to a BB5 - i don't care how cheap they are - they seem it. I can't stand having only one moving pad and they're a pain to set up and feel awful at the level.

Probably not much help but might narrow your choices down!?

...only thing with my BB7 is if you dont want the disc to rub, you constantly have to be adjusting the pad position.....so the brake will always feel slightly different under 'normal braking' (won't matter if you just want on/off braking).

I have a magura on another bike that hasn't needed anything except pads in about 10 years....and it's still better than a bb7

...only thing with my BB7 is if you dont want the disc to rub, you constantly have to be adjusting the pad position.....so the brake will always feel slightly different under 'normal braking' (won't matter if you just want on/off braking).

I just want good brakes that will work right.

I have a magura on another bike that hasn't needed anything except pads in about 10 years....and it's still better than a bb7

I dont have forks that can fit HS33's

BB5/7 will always rub if you have it set-up correctly. Thats how single piston mechanical discs work. The non-moving piston lightly rubs on the disc whilst the moving pad moves in and lightly pushes the disc onto the non moving pad equalling an adequate braking force.

For me personally, i do not like this system. I hate the feel of cable discs and the adjustment annoys me a lot. I haven't tryed on from a power perspective on a trials bike, but from my experience of setting them up/using them on other bikes, i'm not impressed. I'd rather a hydraulic disc on the front that offers modulation and great bite. If you can;t afford a hope, trying looking at some of the magura disc range - they are very good and easy to service.

If you are looking at getting some decent modulation from your brake as opposed to no bite-full lock then again i'd stay away from the avids.

I know many will disagree and use them for their own reasons, and they are cheap - but i feel they're price is perfectly matched to the quality of their manufacture/performance and i certainly wouldn't base my decision on brakes by which one is the cheapest!

Bb5/7 do NOT always rub. You obviously did not set yours up right. The outer pad is pushed onto the disc which pushes onto the pad on the other side. I have a BB7 and it has never rubbed against either pads on each side until I bent my disc. BB7s are excellent front brakes, I can still get as much modulation as I had on my hope mini and to be honest I'm glad I don't use my hope mini anymore. A bb7/5 setup and bedded in properly has insane amount of bite and hold, I've had both. All my friends would agree that my BB7 absolutely holds.

F.Y.I if you cant tell if it's a bb5 or a bb7 just look at the picture.

The bb5's only have a red adjustment on one side. The bb7's have red pad adjustment on both sides of the caliper.

BB7's are the nuts!

I would say buy mine but I have no idea how much it would cost me to send to new Zealand.

Bb5/7 do NOT always rub. You obviously did not set yours up right. The outer pad is pushed onto the disc which pushes onto the pad on the other side. I have a BB7 and it has never rubbed against either pads on each side until I bent my disc. BB7s are excellent front brakes, I can still get as much modulation as I had on my hope mini and to be honest I'm glad I don't use my hope mini anymore. A bb7/5 setup and bedded in properly has insane amount of bite and hold, I've had both. All my friends would agree that my BB7 absolutely holds.

I said it will rub if you have set it up correctly - learn to read. Of course you can get it to not rub but that isn't the correct way to set up a BB5/7. Mechanically operated disc with one moving piston are designed to lightly rub on the non-moving side - this is the CORRECT set-up. I said other people will have different opinions - those are just mine. I'm sure its fine from a power perspective, they're just not my bag!

I said it will rub if you have set it up correctly - learn to read. Of course you can get it to not rub but that isn't the correct way to set up a BB5/7. Mechanically operated disc with one moving piston are designed to lightly rub on the non-moving side - this is the CORRECT set-up. I said other people will have different opinions - those are just mine. I'm sure its fine from a power perspective, they're just not my bag!

Learn to watch and listen?

Youtube Video ->
">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> Edited by weirdoku

Stop Arguing weirdoku and Matthew62!

F.Y.I if you cant tell if it's a bb5 or a bb7 just look at the picture.

The bb5's only have a red adjustment on one side. The bb7's have red pad adjustment on both sides of the caliper.

BB7's are the nuts!

I would say buy mine but I have no idea how much it would cost me to send to new Zealand.

I would say, that if it works and its a reasonable price and reasonable shipping price, then I would buy it!

HI, i thought i just post it here. Ground my rims today and put my CRMs in CNC backings that were on the back on the front because wanted a sharper grind with better hold. Put phat pads I had in spares on the back and CRMs on the front. Problem is - CRM sqeeeck like hell when modulating, so I cant even slow dont in town without people looking at me. One of the brake pads worn kind of silly as well, works realy well but the noise is so loud! I almost got beaten up by some idiots cause of this - lol. So thinking to change them for something different. what brake pads should I use on the front for light sharp grind, was thinking about croco browns or as I already have cnc backings should i try LGM refils?? Also gereneral question what people use on their front HS33s? I was always using mono trials hope, but fancied a change so now using rim brake.

Thank you

Edvin