Brakes

seaine

Lighter - Couldn't care less.

More power - No! No way. Haha. With a grind and or tar and good pads a magura is wayyy more powerful!

I'll have you know that Vee brakes in medium setting is roughly 10% more mechanically powerful than a Magura. Eh!? :S

More adjustable - How?

Avid SD7 levers have a TPA adjustment AS WELL as power adjustment, you can also adjust each arms springs while riding without tools (handy if you get a buckle) Emm... :-

easier to get replacements - How!?

Most bikeshops in the world carry vee brake parts, you can even get cables in supermarkets! Ahh!

Doesn't break forks - That means it aint as powerful then. wink3.g

Narr, its due to a smaller weld area on the forks which doesn't make such a stress riser.

Possible to remove the wheel without deflating the tyre - Ok. One up there.

Pads wear evenly and therefore last longer - If you set Magura pads up perfect they wear evenly,

They still wobble and get rounded ends though CNC'd backings. ;)

easier to setup. - Well, I find Magura's sooo easy to set-up. When I used to have a vee I found it soo annoying to set up

2 bolts to mount the brake, pull cable though and tighten pinch bolt, took me moments to fit my front brake.

Ahh, good argument there. You making want to try it out. But I seriously do think Maggies are unbeatable. Haha

EDIT: Out of curiosity, what is your front and back vee set-up?

Edited by hdmackay

B)

they are both pretty simular....

Front is shimano LX arms onto SD7 lever, Nokon cable (nice and flexy so the brake doesn't move when the cable hits the frame or something) and TNN LGV pads.

Rear is shimano XT arms, SD7 lever, shimano SP5 cable (basicly the same as oddysey linear slic cable, but you can get it in bulk lengths), onza 4-bolt adaptors, salsa carbon booster and TNN pads

The front is comparable to a front maggie, the rear lacks the bite of a maggie, but holds like a vice! Both are easier to pull than a water bled maggie too.

you obviously havn't tried a good vee brake then! One of the great selling points is how much smoother and easier to pull they are than a maggie. I get really bad arm pump even with a water bled magura. it almost vanishes with a vee brake. Why do people think vees are spongy?

you obviously havn't tried a good vee brake then! One of the great selling points is how much smoother and easier to pull they are than a maggie. I get really bad arm pump even with a water bled magura. it almost vanishes with a vee brake.

Hmm... I want a shot on your bike now!

So yeah, what's your set-up?

ok its clear the difference between front disk and a rim brake, but please someone tell me the advantages of a front maggie over a vee?

I can think of one: Sealed unit so less maintanence (although I am still on the origional cable I fitted 4 months ago)

And advantages of a vee over magura??

Lighter

More power

More adjustable

easier to get replacements

Doesn't break forks

Possible to remove the wheel without deflating the tyre

Pads wear evenly and therefore last longer

easier to setup.

I WILL get people to see the light and buy a vee rather than magura :rolleyes:

[/quote

I'm there already.......

Ordering a load of V Brake Kit on Monday for the front and rear conversion

Darren

So, how would it be with a front disc and rear mag then? Virtually every bike I see on ex. tartybikes has this.

From what I've read, discbrakes are pretty progressable, but holds less power than a vee/mag?

I haven't tried a mag break myself, but are they pretty much unprogressable? Only stop and go?

Maguras are so much better than vee brakes!

Admittedly I have never been on a bike with good vee brakes...

But...

There is more choice of pads for HS33s that there is for vee brakes.

I find HS33s easier to set up.

I thought they were more powerfull... :ermm: but I could be wrong.

And changing the pads on Maguras is way easier than it is on vee brakes.

I would definitely go with Maguras every time!!!

So, how would it be with a front disc and rear mag then? Virtually every bike I see on ex. tartybikes has this.

From what I've read, discbrakes are pretty progressable, but holds less power than a vee/mag?

I haven't tried a mag break myself, but are they pretty much unprogressable? Only stop and go?

Yeh. You don't get much modulation with HS33s but they hold and bite a lot better than disc brakes.

Maguras are so much better than vee brakes!

Admittedly I have never been on a bike with good vee brakes...

But...

There is more choice of pads for HS33s that there is for vee brakes.

I find HS33s easier to set up.

I thought they were more powerfull... :ermm: but I could be wrong.

And changing the pads on Maguras is way easier than it is on vee brakes.

I would definitely go with Maguras every time!!!

have a go on a bike with well setup vees and then say which is better ;)

To be fair though, there is the same choice in vee pads as there is maggie pads, just pop the pad into a vee backing and away you go.

As for changing pads, sure the magura pads just pop in and out, but to do that you either have to unbolt the brake or take the wheel out. With a vee, you unbolt the pad and bolt a new one in, no taking brakes or wheels off.

You can stick with maggies if you want, but I just want people to have the best brakes possible, go with whatever makes you happy though.

To be fair though, there is the same choice in vee pads as there is maggie pads, just pop the pad into a vee backing and away you go.

As for changing pads, sure the magura pads just pop in and out, but to do that you either have to unbolt the brake or take the wheel out. With a vee, you unbolt the pad and bolt a new one in, no taking brakes or wheels off.

You can stick with maggies if you want, but I just want people to have the best brakes possible, go with whatever makes you happy though.

I really want a shot on a bike with decent vee's now to be honest Ali!

You make me want a front vee! Haha. Might look into getting one some time in the future. Not now though.:P

Holy s :o t

I was not expecting a replie like that.this is the info i was after.

I rather vee but i just got given a set of disc forks so i have no choice now ha ha.

Ali c,man you make one good arguement and i do agree with what your saying about vee and maggies 100%.

Thanks peeps this is very descriptive and soooooo helpful.

Edited by seaine

Yeh I suppose.

You are actually very persuasive. :P

I am going to keep my Maguras for now but I think I would maybe consider getting vee brakes in the future. ;)

And if you want to be cool B) then get a Double disc mod (Y)

Don't listen to Pleb he's a natty rider :P I'm running double Mag at the moment but i've been planning going front vee for a while, reading this makes me want to go vee more, might get a vee at christmas, unless my front mags working well ;)

Don't listen to Pleb he's a natty rider :P I'm running double Mag at the moment but i've been planning going front vee for a while, reading this makes me want to go vee more, might get a vee at christmas, unless my front mags working well ;)

Just theoretically. Why do you choose not to go for front disc? People here seem to be kind of anti-disc.

Is it a weight issue?

Just theoretically. Why do you choose not to go for front disc? People here seem to be kind of anti-disc.

Is it a weight issue?

Well, firstly no! It absolutely is NOT a weight issue. Haha

Well, I'm not sure but I just always have/ always will hate discs!

i''m a right footer so I would go through countless rotors. They don't have anywhere near as good bite or hold I don't find.

They're not loud, and I like having a loud brake as you know it's working good.

They're more complicated to bleed, Harder to set-up and quite often screw up.

I'm sure I have more reasons that that. But I just stay away from discs!

:P

Is it a weight issue?

I have a Gu 06 and basically only ride TGS so its defintely not a weight issue with me either. I just prefer Magura's and vee's altogether.