Brakes

seaine

hi

i am building a new bike and i was wondering what people have as a front brake

whats the advantage of discs over maguras or v brakes

i perfer v brakes as you can control the feel of the alot easier than discs or maguras easier but thats just me

i have a set of vees already for it.they are single 7s.

i see alot of bikes have discs now but i dont see many front maguras or vees anymore

just wondering what the people on here use and why?

Magura is still a good option. Good hold and lock depending on pads and also the authentic trials sound when braking. In a way some discs are crap and some maggys are crap such as discs can go wrong and maggys can too but , Magura can also be easily bled without anything except for a bucket and most of the time in the long run maggys are cheaper.

Plus if you go to front and buckle your wheel, the magura will need re-setting up.

A good disc like a BB7 or a hope moto trials will do you well.

they're called Mono Trial, not moto trials. :P

You don't need to reset the magura either, you need to true the wheel.

Magura is still a good option. Good hold and lock depending on pads and also the authentic trials sound when braking. In a way some discs are crap and some maggys are crap such as discs can go wrong and maggys can too but , Magura can also be easily bled without anything except for a bucket and most of the time in the long run maggys are cheaper.

I find when discs go wrong it's far easier to work out what is wrong.

Discs are easier to bleed than Maguras if anything! Unless you're using a pure water bleed. (Which doesn't lubricate the seals enough IMO).

I just recently went to front maggies.

My reason is that I don't want to smash my disc up on sidehops, had a formula disc and it was far to nice(and expensive) to go smashing up.

May go back to disc once I have sidehops dialed nicely but I am loveling maggies at the minute, less weight as well!

Matt

just get a good cable, eg. BB7 Don't need bleading, and are powerfull

ok its clear the difference between front disk and a rim brake, but please someone tell me the advantages of a front maggie over a vee?

I can think of one: Sealed unit so less maintanence (although I am still on the origional cable I fitted 4 months ago)

And advantages of a vee over magura??

Lighter

More power

More adjustable

easier to get replacements

Doesn't break forks

Possible to remove the wheel without deflating the tyre

Pads wear evenly and therefore last longer

easier to setup.

I WILL get people to see the light and buy a vee rather than magura :rolleyes:

ok its clear the difference between front disk and a rim brake, but please someone tell me the advantages of a front maggie over a vee?

I can think of one: Sealed unit so less maintanence (although I am still on the origional cable I fitted 4 months ago)

And advantages of a vee over magura??

Lighter - Couldn't care less.

More power - No! No way. Haha. With a grind and or tar and good pads a magura is wayyy more powerful!

More adjustable - How?

easier to get replacements - How!?

Doesn't break forks - That means it aint as powerful then. ;)

Possible to remove the wheel without deflating the tyre - Ok. One up there.

Pads wear evenly and therefore last longer - If you set Magura pads up perfect they wear evenly,

easier to setup. - Well, I find Magura's sooo easy to set-up. When I used to have a vee I found it soo annoying to set up

I WILL get people to see the light and buy a vee rather than magura :rolleyes:

I'm afraid I will always be for maggies. I mean I wouldn't mind a front vee. But ALWAYS rear mag. And usually front mag aswell.

Hehe. :P

Edited by hdmackay

I know it will be hard to make people change, to be honest it doesn't bother me that much, but I just don't see the logic of having front magura (or rear lol, I am never having a maggie again!)

Haha. Well. I love my maggies.

I may consider front vee for a while just to see what you love so much. Haha. But NEVER rear vee! haha.

EDIT: Ali, you did read my answers to the bit in your original post about vee advantages right?

Think i'll put them in bold:P

EDIT 2: Done:)

Edited by hdmackay

Lighter - Couldn't care less.

More power - No! No way. Haha. With a grind and or tar and good pads a magura is wayyy more powerful!

I'll have you know that Vee brakes in medium setting is roughly 10% more mechanically powerful than a Magura

More adjustable - How?

Avid SD7 levers have a TPA adjustment AS WELL as power adjustment, you can also adjust each arms springs while riding without tools (handy if you get a buckle)

easier to get replacements - How!?

Most bikeshops in the world carry vee brake parts, you can even get cables in supermarkets!

Doesn't break forks - That means it aint as powerful then. wink3.g

Narr, its due to a smaller weld area on the forks which doesn't make such a stress riser.

Possible to remove the wheel without deflating the tyre - Ok. One up there.

Pads wear evenly and therefore last longer - If you set Magura pads up perfect they wear evenly,

They still wobble and get rounded ends though

easier to setup. - Well, I find Magura's sooo easy to set-up. When I used to have a vee I found it soo annoying to set up

2 bolts to mount the brake, pull cable though and tighten pinch bolt, took me moments to fit my front brake.