Smooth Rim Pad Decision

Warbs

Sorry for this, just thort i'd ask seeing as its on the toppic dont mean to thread hyjack:

I'm thinking about getting Green Rock Pads on a smooth rim, at the moment i run magura kool stops, im not 100% if its worth getting them if its the same as magura kool's because the kools seem pritty hard so i wondered if they where like the same as Green Rocks?

Cheers.

Laurence.

Haven't used those Magura's but the Green pads are pretty amazing in the few weeks I've used them, nice hold and bite

PLaz crm's or Onza citrus yellow pad. The citrus pads seem identical to plaz compund

Ben Johnson ran coust pads on a smooth rim but had to run them with a bit of tar and they were pretty damn good to be honest.

As the saying goes, you could run a chipolata with tar and it'd be a good brake.

Laurence - pretty much any aftermarket pads are going to be better than your Koolstop reds. If you're running a smooth rim you'll be wanting to get some softer ones though, so the fact your Koolstops are 'hard' isn't really a plus point.

Warbs - it's really worth giving your rim a grind. It makes them work more consistently (If you get water/dusty crap on your smooth rim, say goodbye to braking) and it almost always increases bite and hold - unless you do it wrong. When you first try grinding them you'll probably hold back a bit, but just bear in mind it's actually pretty hard to f**k up a rim by grinding it, so don't worry about going to deep or anything. It takes a bit of practise to get a good grind, but there's plenty of info out there to help you get it sorted. If you do grind it, then the TNN pads seem to be pretty good. I *think* they're the pads that Stan's running at the mo, and they feel pretty amazing on his bike.