What Bars? And Tyre Pressure?

adam__rose@hotmail.com

Hey I was wanting to tap 'the knowledge'.

Ive got an onza limey 3 recently 26" and was wondering what sort of tyre pressures you lot run on street and natural?

Also I was thinking of changing my bars to something with a little more rise and a bit more sweep, any recommendations on what you run?

Well asking other people their tyre pressure is irrelevent because people like different things and they are different weights etc. Run what YOU like best.

Yeah I'm aware of that. I was just wanting to get a feel for what others used compared to be, thats all.

Im on a stock and am running the rear at about 38 psi. I seems ok but wondered if I could get away with less to gove a bit more spring on the ups.

Any bar advice? Ive seen the 'Try-All Rage Bar '09 £60.68' does any one run this?

I used to run over 30PSI in my tyres, but about a year ago I started lowering this to make rolling the tyre forwards on uneven natural surfaces easier (Which it did). I'm now down to 22 PSI on a 2.4" rubber queen (Bigger than a 2.5" Minion) and pinch flatted for the first time in the months since I fitted it last night after a very heavy landing onto the corner of a step.

The Rubber Queen is a great tyre for bounce because the side walls are very light. The downside is that there's at least one cut in the tyre sidewall after a few months use and the tyre squirms a lot on the back wheel on side slopes compared to a dual ply minion which has no bounce to speak of, but is completely stable on side slopes. With a DH tube it's pretty light as well as very bouncy and pinch flat resistant though :).

As for bars, that depends on the frame and stem you have. I changed from a lowish Echo stem with flat bars to a trialtech forged stem and 2" risers and my Echo Control was massively improved - about the same on the back wheel, but now I can bunnyhop it...

Yeah I'm aware of that. I was just wanting to get a feel for what others used compared to be, thats all.

Im on a stock and am running the rear at about 38 psi. I seems ok but wondered if I could get away with less to gove a bit more spring on the ups.

Any bar advice? Ive seen the 'Try-All Rage Bar '09 £60.68' does any one run this?

Got 08's very good, but I just swapped back to ONZA risers.

Matt

I used to run over 30PSI in my tyres, but about a year ago I started lowering this to make rolling the tyre forwards on uneven natural surfaces easier (Which it did). I'm now down to 22 PSI on a 2.4" rubber queen (Bigger than a 2.5" Minion) and pinch flatted for the first time in the months since I fitted it last night after a very heavy landing onto the corner of a step.

The Rubber Queen is a great tyre for bounce because the side walls are very light. The downside is that there's at least one cut in the tyre sidewall after a few months use and the tyre squirms a lot on the back wheel on side slopes compared to a dual ply minion which has no bounce to speak of, but is completely stable on side slopes. With a DH tube it's pretty light as well as very bouncy and pinch flat resistant though :).

As for bars, that depends on the frame and stem you have. I changed from a lowish Echo stem with flat bars to a trialtech forged stem and 2" risers and my Echo Control was massively improved - about the same on the back wheel, but now I can bunnyhop it...

SPOT ON!

Thanks for your reply! Its a rubber queen I run on a onza limey 3. Thats really interesting. Im gonna knock the pressure down to 30psi and see how that is but good to know that your getting away with it at 22 though.

With the bars it's the same problem, control seem fine but I can bunnyhop or even straight pull up to back wheel on anything. Cheers for the advice. Very helpful.

Got 08's very good, but I just swapped back to ONZA risers.

Matt

Its onza carbons 28" I have. how come you went back to them? They just dont feel like they have enough sweep and rise.

Thanks for your reply! Its a rubber queen I run on a onza limey 3. Thats really interesting. Im gonna knock the pressure down to 30psi and see how that is but good to know that your getting away with it at 22 though.

I run my rubber queen at 22-25psi, I dont go particularly big though and I do try to be smooth. Occasionally it does fold sideways, particularly if I land sideways down a slope, its pretty good most of the time though. Im about 11.5 stone and anything less than 20 psi feels really squirmy, that said I was doing the railway track gaps on the bristol ride with about 10 in there, down onto the rim most of the time but didnt pinch :)

The way I do it is just to inflate the tyres quite fully and then gradually deflate them yourself after riding stuff so that over time you find a pressure you like personally. This way, you can go on what you like rather than what other people like and won't miss any out as you go down step by step.

Try not to get it too low though, pinch flats are the most annoying thing ever.. :S