First Trials Bike

Ryanjdunn

Been doing downhill / street and the like for a few years now, and up to date I've had a kona stuff, a GT Ruckus, and a GT chucker (all of them were modded)

Ive been wanting to give trials a bash for quite some time. Been trying it on my chucker but to be honest its not set up for it, so thought i may as well buy / build a trials bike. I usually get all my parts from chainreactioncycles but they don't have a trials section unfortunately, so I'm not even sure where to look. Tried googling for product reviews but nothing relevant is coming up, apart from these forums. So thought i would sign up and see if someone could give me some advice on what to get to start me off and where to get it from.

Basically what I'm after is something that's cheap, and good to start with, be it a frame + separate components, or a pre built bike that comes with everything. Would prefera frame with no sear and something with good breaks. and if possible would like the frame to be lighter rather than heavier.

Like i said, i know shit all about trials so i can only apologize for the description if its a bit shit. But its something i really want to get into as there's some really sweet spots around where i live

Don't forget that buying from new costs more but you can return it if something's wrong...so when you're new to it, that's a major factor to consider.

Ooooor, if there's a real bargain on ebay (under £100 is a reeeeaaaally good price for the cheaper things) it may be worth having a bike that you wouldn't mind trashing for that sort of money.

My recommendation is to either go to a bike shop in person or from an official online dealer so that you can take it back and moan about it if it goes wrong :P

If you have built a bike before and are pretty sensible with a spanner then i would go the by a cheap second hand base and modify to suit.

thats what i did and i am still tweaking it, you learn loads from it and can really tune your bike into how you want to ride!! there are lots of things were i learned the hard way, but would absolutely do it again!!

I would probably not want to spend anymore than 200 for a complete bike. I had a look on eBay at some trials bikes, but i wasn't sure if the ones i was looking at were any good. I tried googling the makes / models of the bikes that were coming up to see if i could get product reviews but couldn't find shit all. If anyone could point me towards a good make / model that i could probably find second hand for around the 150-200 quid mark then would be much appreciated :)

The majority of all the bikes I'm clocking on eBay that fall in my price range are all onza's... Are they any good? descriptions all say they are good for beginners, which suggests to me they are bottom of the range lumps of shite that aren't designed to take much punishment. I can already launch off high drops on a mountain bike, its more just the landing accurately i need to work on. Will one of these " ideal for beginner" bikes take the punishment or will it die as soon i take it off a wall higher than 6 ft?

Well as a good base i had my eye on a mod Koxx frame on ebay which was going for 30 quid. Deffo think if your patient enough and as mentioned before, good with spanner, then you'll be able to pull off a sub 200 bike. It's kind of what i did but then i threw loads of money at it to make it good which defies the point but OH WELL! :D

Onza's are pretty cool. They aren't designed not to take hits and as a 1st bike, i doubt you would notice a difference between a good bike and a great bike.

Edited by vongar_kuu

Been doing downhill / street and the like for a few years now, and up to date I've had a kona stuff, a GT Ruckus, and a GT chucker (all of them were modded)

Ive been wanting to give trials a bash for quite some time. Been trying it on my chucker but to be honest its not set up for it, so thought i may as well buy / build a trials bike. I usually get all my parts from chainreactioncycles but they don't have a trials section unfortunately, so I'm not even sure where to look. Tried googling for product reviews but nothing relevant is coming up, apart from these forums. So thought i would sign up and see if someone could give me some advice on what to get to start me off and where to get it from.

Basically what I'm after is something that's cheap, and good to start with, be it a frame + separate components, or a pre built bike that comes with everything. Would prefera frame with no sear and something with good breaks. and if possible would like the frame to be lighter rather than heavier.

Like i said, i know shit all about trials so i can only apologize for the description if its a bit shit. But its something i really want to get into as there's some really sweet spots around where i live

Hi, My names Jack Brooker. I would HIGHLY recommend an Onza T-Pro as your first bike (build if you wanted to mod it) but to be honest, just from stock its a great bike to learn on. I owned myne for about a year, and in just the first few weeks, i was learning pedal hops, side hops, and HUGE Hop ups! The Onza is a 5 Star Beginner-Intermediate bike! I bought myne for 160 pound off Ebay, and have recently sold it for 200 pounds having done nothing to it. Shows how little they lose value after a few knocks and dinks. I hope this reply has helped you, If you need any more information, dont hesitate to add me on MSN

Metallica_4_ever@hotmail.co.uk - MSN

The majority of all the bikes I'm clocking on eBay that fall in my price range are all onza's... Are they any good? descriptions all say they are good for beginners, which suggests to me they are bottom of the range lumps of shite that aren't designed to take much punishment. I can already launch off high drops on a mountain bike, its more just the landing accurately i need to work on. Will one of these " ideal for beginner" bikes take the punishment or will it die as soon i take it off a wall higher than 6 ft?

Hi Ryan, See your having a bit of troubles trying to find a bike here. I have to say an Onza T Pro is the ultimate learning/Intermediate trials bike! Iv hopped off walls of about 8ft, and NOTHING has ever gone wrong with it. My friend is selling his Onza T pro at the moment due to lack of time. If your interested, just email me or Msn: Metallica_4_ever@hotmail.co.uk (i could get it cheap for you). Thanks. Regards Jack.