My Bikes Creaking

Caswell_35

My bike seems to making a creaking noise around the crank area??

The Cranks are tight all the time as I always check my bike before I ride. Also my pedals are tight and bottom bracket.

I have looked for cracks but I cant see any! Is this just something that happens due to the strain being put through my bike??

Can anyone help please?

Thanks

Caswell :rolleyes:

What kind of creaking? If it's those high pitch "EEEEEEeeeewWWWWww.." kind then it maybe a crack in the frame?

Did you check for cracks?

Yeh, I checked for cracks around the BB area but didnt see anything.

I have just regreased the BB and the pedals as advised, I had a little ride around the garden, it creaked for the first few pedals but stopped. Im now going to go for a ride for an hour so will see if it comes back, fingers crossed thats job done!!

Thanks for your help.

Caswell

Yeh, I checked for cracks around the BB area but didnt see anything.

I have just regreased the BB and the pedals as advised, I had a little ride around the garden, it creaked for the first few pedals but stopped. Im now going to go for a ride for an hour so will see if it comes back, fingers crossed thats job done!!

Thanks for your help.

Caswell

I had the same sort of problem with mine, I tried greasing/tightening things up as people have been advising but turned out it was cracked. So it might be worth having another good look to make sure, have a look around where the seat stays are welded to the top tube/seat tube rather than around the BB as that was where mine had seemed to have gone.

I had the same sort of problem with mine, I tried greasing/tightening things up as people have been advising but turned out it was cracked. So it might be worth having another good look to make sure, have a look around where the seat stays are welded to the top tube/seat tube rather than around the BB as that was where mine had seemed to have gone.

Ok Thanks I shall have a look in a mo. After riding on it for a while there has been no more creaks!! Which is good! But I will still look for cracks as it has happened in the past too and I found a crack!

The're bound to be square taper cranks, so whack them off, stick a fook load of grease on the axle, then put the cranks back on and do them up tight!

If that doesnt work, I don't know what will.

Why are they? They are ISIS cranks

After thinking it was sorted I WAS WRONG!!!

The creaking has come back and its doing my nut in!!!

It stopped when i took my BB out and put it back in, but do i really need to keep doing this every time?? or maybe its the cranks????!!!! who knows!!!!?????

Grease the BB threads, youre not meant to grease the BB splines/taper :)

Thats what i did, I greased the threads, I didnt like the idea o greasing the splines!! Maybe ill just put some headphones in so i cant hear it and hope it goes away :P

Grease the BB threads, youre not meant to grease the BB splines/taper :)

You are with splined interfaces (ISIS, Octalink etc).

With square taper you don't normally have to but you can i.e It won't do any harm.

So I'd whack a bit of grease on the splines.

If you have caged pedals, make sure the bolts are tight.

Check your dropouts and back wheel, make sure it's all clean and tightening properly.

Do these easy things first. If the problem is still there, start changing bits around. Start with the pedals, then the cranks, then the BB, you'll find the problem eventually.

It could also be a crack, but it could also be your bars/stem or front wheel.

Hope you've got money mate, mine was doing this for the past 2 months and finaly i found out what it was when my feelwheel gave up...

99% its that.

Laurence.

When i bought the bike, aparently it was a NEW freewheel!?! But i can only take the guys word for it?? I was looking to get a new some soon, wanna get either Echo TR or Tensile 96 not sure yet..... Hear so many different reviews on them!

Hopefuly the free wheel wont break when im doing something!!!

Ill grease the splines and see what happens!!

Thanks

Hope you've got money mate, mine was doing this for the past 2 months and finaly i found out what it was when my feelwheel gave up...

99% its that.

Laurence.

If this turns out as not the right solution then i would suggest get a whole new BB, because it seems like you've tryed everything.

Hope this helps.