Deng Free Hubs ?

bt rider

Iv been interested it these for some time now but im not shore what to think of them?

They look smart but im concerned that they have 4 paws in them but ONLY 2 are engaged at any one time.

Witch i don't see the point it that?

Also concerning me is that im not shore that they would stand up to much constant abuse from big gaps and side hops?

Also witch hub shell would be strongest as GU/ZOO/ECHO/ADAMANT all have made different shaped hub shells?

Has any one got any thurts on this one?

I gotta ask - in your sig you suggest you are or were running King hubs ... having used those pretty much ANY hub would feel like it's underperforming let alone the widely distrusted Deng freehubs . Did your King perish ?

no there still beast ;) but i have a zoot with an onza pro casset hub witch i wouil like to replace asap

F.Y.I I think only 2 pawls engage at a time to create more engagements.

i.e. 2 engage with the ratchet, the other 2 are offset about half the distance of a tooth on the ratchet, thus meaning they only have to travel half the distance before engaging. Then when they do engage the other 2 are now half way there. Not as strong as all 4 enageing at once but I think it's a fairly common setup in spring and pawl type freehubs.

I don't know shit about freehubs, but all I have heard about the Deng freehubs is that they are shit.

They use glue on the ratchets or something and they always come loose after a bit of riding. And it's unfixable

Don't believe that.

F.Y.I I think only 2 pawls engage at a time to create more engagements.

i.e. 2 engage with the ratchet, the other 2 are offset about half the distance of a tooth on the ratchet, thus meaning they only have to travel half the distance before engaging. Then when they do engage the other 2 are now half way there. Not as strong as all 4 enageing at once but I think it's a fairly common setup in spring and pawl type freehubs.

Tensiles only engage 2 pawls also, not many people complain about that.

My missus has had one for a while now and it seems fine. I have been gapping on it.

However I do shit myself when I do because of the shit I have heard about them.

Notice you asked how much experience people had with them and the people that were slagging them didn't say anything.

I think the shittyness of these hubs is exagerated, mostly it's a case of

"I knew a guy that... and I heard that"

However I'll be changeing the one on my birds bike as soon as she gets good enough to be dropping off shit, cos I like her face the way it is and I don't think it is worth risking it.

Matt