Low Streaming Speed

RobinJI

Recently my internet is starting to be really slow with streaming videos, fine with everything else, just not streaming for some reason. It wont keep up with BBC I-player at all, and there diagnostics test comes up with a download speed of anything from 2000kbps to 6000kbps, yet the streaming speeds are only ever somewhere around the 300kbps mark.

Seems odd to me that they'd be any different, anyone got any ideas about what could be causing it?

It could be that you have a slow provider, are quite a distance from the echange, are quite a distance from your router (wireless), have two many people using your home network or you have an open application running in the background using up bandwidth like limewire.

Who's your ISP and what speed does your modem say its connecting at?

Not sure to be honest :S I think the provider is freedom2surf or something like that, and it's meant to be 10meg. The modem's a belkin combined modem/wireless router thingy. Any way of finding out what it says it's connecting at?

Just did another test with that BBC I-player test thing and got a download speed of 9721kbps and a streaming speed of 2459kbps. Bit more like it (Y) Don't get why it's so inconsistent though.

Do you use streaming sites alot? do you download alot?

What time of the day are you trying?

Could be somthing to do with it, certain ISP's but limits and caps on the package so you could have a download limit / bandwidth limit and if you hit it they are going to cap your usage pretty heavily. Also some providers as cap the speeds at peak periods due to the demand and so on.

The best thing is to look more into your provider to see if there is any small print about your usage allowance.

My test from iplayer my highest score for streaming was - 21057kbs

I am on a 50mb virgin fiber optic connection though (bearing in mind 3 other guys upstiars probs useing the net as well ) so should better than if you are just on an old phone line which could be miles form the exchange.

Like said before you could be a distance form the exhange meaning you might be signed up to 10mb but you could be only recieveing something alooooot lower.

Edited by GlynnP