Home Cinema Hifi Set Up/projector

Caleb

Basically following on from my last topic i have a little projecotr set up running in my room.

however i have no sound as theres no internal speakers in a projector unlike a tv etc.

i was thinking of getting around this by getting a dvd surround sound set up, however if i did this would i only be able to get the sound on the dvd and not my xbox etc?

ive got an optoma hd70 projector and will be using it with a hdmi cable to my xbox most of the time.

leaving me with the following ports

vga/scart/component

component pr (red)

component pb (blue)

component y (green)

video (yellow)

s video

service

ir module

12v relay

basically is there any way of me getting good sound without much effort? will buy an amp etc if necassary as i assume ill need a remote to control the sound on a daily basis . . .

thanks in advance

If you look in the box your xbox came in there is a little adapter that goes in at the side of the HDMI cable which allows for separate audio out in ether digital ports or mono ports just use that and a amp with either digital in or mono in.

for full surround sound from xbox games you will need to use the digital out. Another option would be an have receiver xbox into that with hdmi out from projector and then your speakers will also go out from the have receiver. Plus you can plug loads more into the have receiver.

http://images.pcworld.com/news/graphics/13..._cable1_350.jpg

The HDMI Optical dongle only came with the elite 360 and is now only available separately. The use of the standard vga optical in combination with hdmi is not highly recommended as it pushes the hdmi to one side causing a temperamental connection, even with the plastic casing removed.

I always recommend a cheap seperates 5.1 amp. Multiple inputs to a single set of speakers and huge amounts of customisation. Though this does come at a price as the main unit and speakers are slightly higher than the all in one packages from the likes of sony, samsung, bose and all the other crappy ones.

Though from what you're saying you'd just like to hook up the xbox to the surround sound dvd player and want to know if it would work. In short, yes. Though you'll have to check what inputs are on the back of whatever surround unit your buying to be sure you can hook your 360 up to it as well.

Cheers for the info lads, really appreciated think ill go down the 5.1 route on ebay or so forth just means i wont have sound for a week, dont suppose there's anyway of me using my brothers tv with hdmi input as a speaker source?

probably would just be used as the source rather than the xbox and a case of either or?

are yamaha the amps to go for too or any known make ?

cheeers

Just wondering in the rushed panic of trying to get audio woirking, a mate has given me an alesis ra150 amp from his old deck set up, it has two channels which i thought i could connect to some of the spare connections in the back of the projector but not proving too fruitful.

would this be a case of pure incompatibility or is there anything i can do to get it working?

desperatre to hear gunfire on cod haaa . . .

Got my laptop connected as a temp measure

Yamaha RX V-392 RDS have 5.1 would that suffice as an amp/receiver? any ideas on price to be paying too? cheers

if i got such an amp with speakers id need a hdmi 1 to 2 splitter? (would this reduce quality at all?)

Also i already have a philips hd dvd player which has the following connections-hdmi out, tv out, pb, y, pr, digital out/coaxial, l,r(audio out), scart and mains.

Whats spdif?

any more help much appreciated cheers

spdif is a digital connection either through a single RCA socket or an optical one.

If the connections on the back of the projector are audio out connections it should work, there won't be a compatibility issue so long as your doing audio out on the projector to audio in on the amp.

Yamaha amp looks about right, i'd pay around £60-70 for one of them.

For sale section on AVforums is always a bang on place to get kit from for exceptionally good prices.