Dual Disc

DEZ

ok so ive had an urge to move to DD i like the modulation and feel of the mono trial disc brake and would love to give it a go on the rear but before i make a move i have few questions

- i am right footed and side hop to the left - this obvsioulsy means that when slip bail fall etc i am going to smash bend the rear disc , i run a front disc and in the 4 years i have run it ive hit it twice once falling off a crate into a crate on the disc (awkard fall) then secondly front wheel went through a drain landed on disc xD anyway im looking for advice from DD riders

- what side do you ride

- have you hit your (rear) disc

- isit hard or is very simple to hit it from a side hope slip

- have you just damaged the disc or the caliper from a side hope bail

i would prefer to have any info from someone who either rides or has riden a DD not someone who thinks they know it all and hasnt riden one we all have our views

also if there is any local south waleanes that can let me have a feel of a DD that be much appreached

thanks Dez

Ive Known a guy with a rear Disc and theres was Fine not sure what

size it was but they bail sidehops alot and it didn't really break it just

buckled now and then in time after hitting it, I think that the stronger

the rotor is the longer it will last you. I think the rotor the guy had

was a aztech one on rear using a hope mono trial. Was amazing

performance and power in the brake. I think size was 160 rotor.

Edited by AndyyRider

- what side do you ride

- have you hit your (rear) disc

- isit hard or is very simple to hit it from a side hope slip

- have you just damaged the disc or the caliper from a side hope bail

not sure what side you ride means, i sidehop to the left, but my riding doesn't consist of sidehops.

i have clipped my rotor a few times, it's been damn sturdy and taken the knocks fine

it's not as easy as everyone thinks it is to damage your rear rotor, cause no one actually sidehops parallel, you usualy lean into the wall and land with an angle so you'll rarely land plum on your disc

i don't think after 18 months my caliper had a scratch on it, but i'm not harsh with my bike, i'm sure someone who's bike looks like it's been through a warzone will tell you a different story but i think you'll be fine, hitting my caliper was never a concern for me when i ride dd

You should be fine with a 160mm or so on the back - I'd have thought it would've been a bit tricky to batter it on a mod too much. If you're worried, could always get one of these beefy bastards:

large_tarotorr.jpg

Would that work with my standard hope mono 160mm?

I believe so, although I'm not 100% - it's only 5mm off so it should be alright I'd have thought. Ads is/was running one on some of his many recent mod frames with no drama. Can't remember what sorta mount some of them had, but like I said, pretty sure he was running it in place of a 160mm rotor.

I was going to run one on my Zoo at one point, they've got really, really good hold 'cos of the design of the rotor. Not quite as bitey as my Mono Trial rotor, so I stuck with that just 'cos it felt closest to my old Magura.

I have 2 dd mods and sidehop to the left. I find hitting the rotar is very difficult, if you do hit the disc its more likely to be on something rotar height and it will usualy be down to general clumbseyness. I run hope mono mini's front and back, and even though there quite good I wouldn't buy them again because I find them quite bad for backwheeling and enything else that is imperitive that the backwheel holds. As a result I am returning to maggy. My advice to you is stick with magura and get tnn lgm pads like I have on my stock. By the way i dont want to start a huge arguement about which is better so if u disagree with anything I have said please keep it to yourself lol

Iam a dd rider,riding natural,and do the ebtc comps,I sidehop right,left foot foward never hit disk in natural,only hit my rear 1 in street.And my friend sides left and he is right ft foward and he rearly hits his as on a log its wel hard to clip it on a side.ive also got his vid.

http://vimeo.com/8483753

He has been doing comps for two years and is:

the 2008 intermidiate champion

2009 expert runner up

and he also got 3rd place in the 2009 british championships

Edited by jakejp94@hotmail.co.uk